Shop Lighting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adamholz17, Mar 3, 2011.

1. adamholz17

adamholz17 LawnSite Member

What is everyone using for lighting in your shop, and are they working for you? I am building a 40-60 post frame with 14' side walls, and can't seem to decide what type of lighting to put up. Around here there are quite a bit of 400 watt Metal Halide shop lights for sale, although I have a chance to get quite a few fluorescent lights for cheap/free.

By your experience would fluorescent lights do any good for a shop with 14 walls, and if so how many square feet can they cover (assuming more for the area where we work on equipment.) On the other hand would a few halide bulbs do a better job, especially since they are only 30 bucks a light?

Possibly a mixture of both so I don't have to worry about letting the halide bulbs warm up and can have instant lighting by the fluorescents?

Let me know your experiences and your recommendations.

2. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

My cousin just build a huge shop and T5's were what he used. They make the place really bright and are pretty good on electricity.

3. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

for the Elc bill alone,, you'll want the fluorescents, as the others really suck up the juice!
    I'd take all the free lighting you can get. If you need a certain work area brighter, I wouldn't us Metal halide.
    In your work area,, you could do like in a paint booth, and build some of the fixtures vertically in the walls for a better side lighting effect.

4. cvcook

cvcook LawnSite Member

Metal Halides take a while to warm up also

5. adamholz17

adamholz17 LawnSite Member

The current shop I'm in has just a few fluorescents and it is no where near enough light. Sounds like they produce enough light for you guys though huh?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

The T5's in my cousins shop could be used for grow lights. they are BRIGHT!!!