Shop power tools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok I'm starting to redo all my shop tools and right now have the basic craps-man hand tools (most have been missing for a while now) and b&d fire storm power tools. any suggestions to get new brands for both hand and power tools, & what size air tank/ compressor should i get for a basic back yard lawn shop/shed. as for the power tools i was thinking dewalt or Hitachi, or Bosch.

2. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

dewalt, thats the only way to go

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use mostly tools I buy from Harbor Freight, way cheaper and they've been as good to me as the brands you mention...
    So much cheaper I can buy 3-4+ of their tools for every one of the brand names, sometimes I do get stuck with a lemon but I've been pretty pleased thus far. So pleased in fact that when one does crap out I don't even bring it back, thou I probably could.

The names aren't awe inspiring, but their Central Pneumatic 1/2" impact wrench I paid like $30 for outlasted my $140 Chicago Pneumatic thus far, their $10 Chicago Electric 4.5" angle grinders have thus far performed at least as well as my $50 Dewalt, or close to it. If they lag a bit in performance I can't tell, they appear to last just as long...
    That is, unless you want to spend $300 on an Ingersoll-Rand impact wrench...

http://www.harborfreight.com/

And if you catch it on sale, look at that same stupid 1/2" impact wrench I mentioned above, for 10 bucks:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95310

Air tank?
    At LEAST 30 gallons, mine's 27 but I said at least 30, 25 would be really pushing it.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

30 gallon ac tank will do for you...Husky makes a variety of air tools as well.

5. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i though i heard somewhere that the husky and kobalt stuff was junk?

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have some Husky air tools...a 1/2" impact, grinding wheel, 3/8" ratchet, drill, grease guns, and some other tools. I have no complaints.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

For electric tools I would recommend makita, dewalt, or milwaukee. I use all milwaukee in my shop and have never had a problem. For air tools if snap on is not something you can fit in your budget, I would recommend ingersol rand.

In welders, get either miller, esab, or Lincoln.

If you ever step up into a plasma cutter, I recommend a hypertherm. They are the best bang for the buck.

If you are going on the cheap, topsites is right. Unless you buy the absolute best top dollar stuff, the stuff from harbor freight is as good as any husky or cobalt stuff and a whole lot cheaper.

9. Daddy Joes Lawn Service

Daddy Joes Lawn Service LawnSite Member

kobalt and Dewalk

10. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

When you buy a air gun, get the strongest one you can. A cheap one just doesn't cut it.