shops

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by economiclawncare, Jul 12, 2004.

1. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

now thinking about getting a shop to store equipment and to do work on my own mowers. Do you use a self storage place or did you find a shop else where and what size is your shop. thanks in advance.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I work out of a 24 by 40 garage on my property. (2 bays are for personal vehicles.)

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

36x36 shop with a 10x36 lean-to. One overhead door, one service door. My office is also located in the shop. The size is just fine but bigger is better when it comes to a shop. Here's a pic where you can see part of it in the background to the left.

equipment2.gif

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

a pic of the inside...

shop2.gif

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i worked out of a self storage place 4 a while but it got 2 costly and the space was not big enough
    i have found other space and it is closer to home and much nicer
    get as big as u can afford and it will still be 2 small LOL

6. I work out of a 2 bay garage at home.

My son-in-law in lives in Cape Coral Florida. We went to the "shop" where his swimming pool company works out of. It was a storage facility. Every tenant there was operating some kind of business out of their bay. Roofers, Office cleaners, just everything. Cape Coral has really strict zoning, so small businesses a person would usually operate from home was prohibited. So they all had storage lockers.
    They had electric, phone, even a desk and chair.

I've even heard of store front businesses operating out of storage lockers. Kind of like a flea market. They just open the doors and set up their displays and sell things.
    I guess it could be whatever the landlord would allow.

Good luck finding your own place.

Dave

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 50x50, a 24x50 and a 24x24 and nowhere near enough room. I also use our shops at work for custom building stuff. I have about an acre of equipment outside that won't fit inside. Can you say too much stuff? We have 13 different trailers that all have to be outside. It's getting to the point now that when a mower breaks my wife just loads up another one and when I have time I fix it.

8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just had a 16x24 garage put on. Big difference as far as working on my own equipment and storing the trailer. I love it.

9. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

thanks for the input. keep it coming and the more pics the better.