Shore clean-up on 3 acre lake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TurfGuyTX, Aug 18, 2002.

1. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

One of our biggest and best customers wants us to clean up this lake. Around the whole thing there is alot of algae. About 15 ft. out trash that blows in sit atop the algae. I normally wouldn't bother with this kinda work, but as I said above, he is a great customer. It's not accessible by any kind of boat.

I was thinking of rigging a rake to some type of extendable pole. Do any of you have any ideas as to what the best way to do it?'
    Thanks for any input.

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i've cleaned moss and algea out of farm ponds with chainlink fence and a tractor.

i anchored it at one end and then sweep it up in arcs.

what size lake is it? dimensions? if it's skinny enough use chain link like a seine net.

steep grade?

3. TurfGuyTX

from DFW

It's about 3 acres. There's not access for mechanical methods. We don't have to take the algae out, just the trash. It will have to be guys on foot. Some pulling trash out and picking it up. Fun.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

ohh...ooops

i'd wade it and toss ashore.

5. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

I use a snow roof rake to clean up some condo ponds during summer and they have about a 12 to 15 ft etension pole, if you have one or could get your hands on one , no wading in the algee......... if you can't find one, I'll send mine to use.....

6. TurfGuyTX

from DFW

That sounds like something that would work. I'll work on tracking one down. We don't get much snow here in Texas, so not much of that kind of stuff around. The internet should help. Thanks.

7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a pool net on a extendable pole. you can buy either at a pool store. it works great for me when i have to clean a drainage sewer in a lake that is about 15 feet from shore.

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yeah, that's what I was thinking might work...one of those swimming pool skimmer/net doodads on the long, aluminum pole.

One of my accounts, that has a pool, has one leaning up against the poolhouse....must be 20 foot long. Has a deal that looks like screen window mesh stretched over a plastic hoop.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, Pool net..looks like some guys already beat me to it:rolleyes:

Good Luck
    Jim

10. TurfGuyTX

from DFW

The only thing about the pool nets that worry me is there strength. It would have to fight through moss and algae to lift out wet papers, bottles, cans and other things with a little weight to them. Thanks for the help guys.