shoreline stabilization tree moving

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by BrandonV, Jul 4, 2008.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

hi guys, here are some pics of us relocating some trees so my grading contractor friend can come in and fix the shoreline that some yokel did previously, as you can see most of it has slipped into the lake. worst time of the year to dig trees, we've got them setup w/ a dripper system but I'm sure they're wilting away.

tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

tree3.jpg

tree4.jpg

tree5.jpg

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool pics. Do the trees have to sit out until the other work is complete or are you able to get them in the ground somewhere sooner?? Good luck! We just had to pop out some trees (large oaks and maples with a 90") a few weeks back that were spaded in over the winter. They were starting to be happy but we moved them on-site so they were only out of the ground a few minutes- then plenty of H2O and SuperThrive!!!!

3. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

What a ******** contractor. Didn't the previous contractor excavate the bank edge to put in some large stone as a base to hold up the rest? It looks like they didn't even grade back at a 3 to 1 slope or any thing. Just pushed off, covered it with fabric and dumped rock over the edge. WTF. That crap pisses me off.

Do it the right way this time, Make sure you don't rub it in the home owners face to much. but make them understand that the low bidder is always the low bidder for a reason.

J

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I love it when they do it that way. We have built our business on "re-do's". One of my favorite sayings is: "Why do it right the first time when you can do it twice!" When people focus just on getting the cheap bid, they get just that and then complain.....

5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I don't do that type of work but have stablized slopes and drives going off of caliche hills. Wouldn't dumping mostly rock and then covering with soil be the right way to stablize? Get the heavy stuff down so the clay doesn't get soaked and just pump when someone drives on it or as it happens in texas, get soaked and slide off in large pieces. I try to stabilze as much as I can by fitting large rocks together when I build a road off of a slope. I make it my sub base so that nothing will slide even in the heaviest rains. I haven't tackled lakes since we don't have too many of those around here but it seems like the principle would be the same.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That tree looks a weeee bit heavy!

7. BrandonV

thats our 50" spade not too heavy for the loader but the ground was very soft. I would have prefered to use our 90" spade but its too heavy for the conditions, and also there were about 42 trees. We had to dig. We burlaped them and billed them in.

8. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

those pics are very cool

9. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, very neat pics. Old loader but still looks in good condition.

10. BrandonV

we've been running this loader for I think 22 years now, dug many a tree at the nursery. we normally don't take it out and about on landscape jobs, but it came in handy here. the tractor runs great btw, we might replace the spade eventually, but things are expensive and here lately there ain't much $ in the nursery business.