1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shorline Extension - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by WarriorLandscape, Jul 19, 2013.

1. WarriorLandscape

WarriorLandscape LawnSite Member

I have a customer who has a pond in the back yard. The pond collects runoff from the neighborhood. The customer would like to extend his grass about 6 feet into the pond. At 6 feet out, the depth of the water is approx. 2 ft. deep. Please refer to the picture (attached) for an idea of the situation (the green line indicates the desired outer edge).

Do you think I can simply add dirt/fill to elevate the shoreline? Or do I need to use a pond liner, retaining wall, etc. to ensure the shoreline holds? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Shore Extension.jpg
  2. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you ever consider that this area would deemed to be a wetland, and if big brother discovers that you filled it in without the appropriate permit you will be sitting behind bars?
  3. WarriorLandscape

WarriorLandscape LawnSite Member

The customer has already discussed this with the city and it is not deemed a wetland area.

With that said, I'm just trying to determine how this would be feasible. At that point we will proceed with the formalities of obtaining a permit, etc.
  4. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Dont take the customers word for it...check up on it as well. He might say anything to get that extra 6'.