Short Block or New Engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

My engine is shot and the dealer is suggesting a new short block or new engine. Price is about $2000 difference between the two. What would you guys do?

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

depends on what it is on, and how long you think the mower will last. a cheap old mower i would go with the block, a not so older and more expensive mower with more life i would go engine.

3. ztrguy

from NE FL

How long will that short block last?

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

engine is an easier swap, more like a plug and play but short block is easy enough as well if you are mechanically inclined. even if the mower is only a few years old, I'd still short block it... you are getting the important part (engine) new...

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Lap the valves and stick the heads on the new short block. Same thing as a new engine. There really isnt much to these engines.

6. ztrguy

from NE FL

That's kinda what I was thinking. The mower has over a 1000 hours on it, but it is in really good shape. Looks better than most mowers with 250 hours.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

$2000 difference? What engine is it?

Most of the larger air cooled gasers top out around 2000 for the engine itself.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we have done the short block thing but not far off the valves(head) warped and still killed the engine so beware of that possibiltly

9. YEP, thats what I'm thinking, pretty pricey.

10. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

i'd shortblock if possible..