1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

short crank

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piebelly, Jan 15, 2006.

1. piebelly

piebelly LawnSite Member

lost that is what i am. had aCV 20h.p. kohler blow on me found one on ebay got it in but they had sent me wrong engine. what they had sent me was aCV 25 hp kohler which right dia. crank but not long enough , can i make this crank longer it is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch to short. Got a good deal on it. any help would be greatly appr.
  2. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

You may want to resell it on ebay, since your bargin could become someonelse's "high price". Then, spend the money on the right motor.
    Just a thought you may have overlooked/
  3. piebelly

piebelly LawnSite Member

there is nothing i can do to this engine to make it work?
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Sure there is.

You have to dissasemble the bottom end, unbolt the crank main caps, unbolt the rods, replace the crank (+$100 or so for that part), replace main bearings,replace rod bearings, and then reassemble the bottom end, then hope you did it all right and it runs.

Or you could just return the engine or resell it. Obviously they didn't ship the wrong engine, you ordered the wrong one. You need to know your shaft diamater and length and keyway before you order a small engine.
  5. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

i had a cv22 on a bobcat mower that had warped heads. I bought off ebay a cv25 that had a 7/8" shorter crankshaft. Luckily bobcats have a spacer welded to the engine to deck pulley and had plenty of room to cut off 7/8'' off that spacer to work perfect. 7/8'' isnt much to cut off when the belt that runs from engine to deck is 4ft. belt never jumps off.
  6. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

how long is the new crank. if the engine seems to be ok and you dont want to mess with it, I might be interested if you want to sell it.
  7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Dumb question, can you drill new mounting holes in the mounting and just move the engine by the 1/2 to 3/4 you need to make it work? I would look at moving the engine a bit before anything else.
  8. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

I think he's saying that the crankshaft itself is not long enough. As in the "work" part of the crank is not long enough. Or at least that's what I understood. I could be reading it wrong though.:)