Short or Tall

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jspec260, Jun 5, 2008.

1. jspec260

jspec260 LawnSite Member

Now with the peak mowing season starting to end for my area i am curious should i be cutting my yards taller to keep them greener? Or will i just end up chasing my ass the next week? Right now i try to keep my yards around 3in to 3.25in. But they look a little burnt out when i am finished. N the following week when i come back they are green again just not really nice green n plush. If i begin to mow them taller will the start to be more plush?

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I am mowing at 3.5 right now. If you are seeing brown when you are done then you are cutting to short. Is this a thick and plush grass that you are cutting or thin grass?

3. jspec260

jspec260 LawnSite Member

It really depends on my account. For the most part though thick n plush

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Without seeing it in person or a picture, I would say you need to raise up your height then.

JP

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

I will agree with JP

3.5 is the shortest we go.

Most of mine are 3.75 and 4" right now

6. jspec260

jspec260 LawnSite Member

alright thank u u guys

7. momow

momow LawnSite Member

I'm just down Winchecter road from you. If you think the peak is over just wait and see what the rain and heat we are getting will do for your tail chasing. I wouldn't cut lower than 3.5" or you will definatly get that faded look. Here's my personal lawn last Sunday,(3.5") after mowing Saturday. This afternoon the grass is already 5-6", let the tail chasing begin!

DSC01942.jpg

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeh it really kinda sux, you raise your blades then you get to wait like an extra several days while the grass grows to the new height while half your customers are flipping out because omg it's so tall!

For this reason I started raising my height towards end of spring, I think the first week of May I went to 3.25" and just a week ago to 3.5"... I can't go higher on my Wb because it doesn't cut good.
    The Z is another story, I've had that to 4.75 before lol

It's awesome, other than dealing with customer flipping out, the lawns stay green instead of getting all stressed and going dormant... I don't really get any more cuts per season out of it but so long it is green at least I'm getting more than if it wasn't. Once them lawns go dormant or worse, it's over for a good month, I know as much, so better green and slow than dormant and dead.

There's also a sneaky but unintentional side-effect bonus :p

9. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I'd rather cut high and chase tail then cut low, cut off the green, and wait for it to grow back. Busy means $$

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

We mow 2 condo projects. We cut as low as possible to make the grass go into semi dormancy, that means less cutting for us. With the price of gas, cutting grass is not a money maker and the more often you cut when you're on a monthly, the less money you make.

The condo people figure, the lower, the better lol...so we do it gladly..:laugh:

:)