shorter blades on top....????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slicksilverado01, Mar 6, 2005.

1. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I just recently traded in one of my 52 cub for a 60 turf tiger and now I have 6 extra sets of gator blades and was wondering what if I used the gators for my 52 cub and doubled them on the 60 tt with stock scag blades on bottom. has anybody tried this?

2. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

I have not done this...but you may just stumble into something that works great. I don't think it would cause any problems as long as everything is balanced. Sounds logical to me. Go ahead and give it a try. Just because nobody else has done it should not matter.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Yes you can use the shorter blades on top. I do.

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Five years ago when I first was introduced to double blades, I experimented with using shorter blades on top. I found absolutely no benefit from doing this. Here is why: all the action occurs out at the blade tip.

The second blade provides added lift (or mulching) plus two extra cutting edges. If you use a shorter blade on top you eliminate both of these functions.

I have always used either a Rotary mulcher or Gator mulcher on top, but this year I am changing. I plan to use a 3" High Lift blade on the bottom and a Flat blade on top. The 3" wide blade provides excellent lift and minimizes HP loss. The flat blade on top offers no resistance, but provides the two additional cutting tips for a smooth, one-pass cut.

5. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

when grass starts growing around here I am going to try the shorter blades on top on my lawn and see how it goes... If I dont like them I will change to a different setup. Will the double blades with scag blade on botton a gators (shorter ones) on top do good in the spring?
    Where is the cheapest place to get high lift blades and flat blades?