Should "Better Outdoor Products" manufacture a ZTR.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grits, Dec 6, 2007.

?

Should "Better Outdoor Products" manufacture a ZTR?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    61.8%
  3. Who is Better Outdoor Products?

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have wondered if Better will ever get into the ZTR marketplace. Who here thinks they should?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This one is going to be interesting at least....

3. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

That kind of goes against there philosophy. They have, what seems, a nice niche market with what they have. Not to mention making Z's with no dealer support would be, um, interesting, to say the least. Plus with all the Z makers out now, i could seem them loosing money bring a Z to market, and being forced to compromise on what made them "better".

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think people want to see it...
    I think people want to see it and it be better as well as more affordable...

But rather or not it makes strategic business sense for BOP to do it is totally another question...

5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the big deal about quick? There controls are not all that special is it price only? Do they have a better cutting performance? With no dealer support why would you even consider unless that are that much better or cheaper!

6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Stick to what your good at esp when the Z market is as flooded as it is. Seems like they have a good nitch so stick too it.

7. phntmfoot

phntmfoot LawnSite Member

Unless its going to be built to the same standard as everything else on the market, NO. Other than that, they could probably make a real nice home owner model.

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I second Envy...I would love to see them produce a Z...but only if and when the market will allow a Better Z to be produced and sold at a profit and be different from the rest of the other 50+ already on the market.

Gary and Co. at BOP have started a Co. the others are already envious of and are light years ahead of other co's in terms of price,quality...CUSTOMER SERVICE....

GP...Stick with what's gotten you this far and things will only get BETTER .

9. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know I think it will get old really quick having to hop off the mower to to a manual 3 point turn.

Seriously though if it wasn't for sites like this they probably wouldn't be able to make the machines they are. They are only a few hundred dollars less then the competition and you get dealer support. Plus the drive handles on most brands arent cables like a homeowner machine and the quick but metal rods. Plus in some areas you would not get any dealer support with a machine they don't sell. Also their pistol grips look very uncomfortable. The the width of their decks is much wider then comparable machines.

If I think of anything else I will let you know. Make an informed deciscion guys don't just buy it because these guys who have never used any other mower say it is the next biggest thing since sliced bread.

10. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It's more than just a few hundred dollars difference. I just called a local mower dealer and got estimates on three different 36" walk behinds. He had Hustler about $4400, and Bob Cat and Cub Cadet about $3700. I just added up some stuff on BOP's website, including Quick 36 Samurai, landscaper pro pack with high lift blades, Gator blades, belts, extra spindle and pulley, an Accelerator catcher, and the Step Saver for almost $3100. That's $600 less than the Bob Cat and Cub, which don't even include a catcher or sulky. Add those to the price and you can save about $1400.
    As far as a zero turn goes, I think the market has enough already and BOP has a good niche to focus on. People are already hesitant to buy a walk behind over the phone or Internet, so I doubt people would ever buy a zero turn without laying eyes on it or driving it around.