1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should have listened to you guys sooner

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll tell you guys. Those of you that have been singing the praises of ride-ons were right and I was wrong. I used to tell people who asked me why I walked my lawns, I wouldn't use a ride-on spreader, because I thought ride-ons were overkill for what I planned to do. After doing this for awhile, I've come to see the many merits of riding, over walking all of those lawns. I'm definitely going to be looking for a used Lesco HPS to buy this Fall, or Winter (if you know someone with a used HPS they're selling, please let me know).

When I look at how many more lawns I'll be able to service each day, without being tired when I finish, I know it's a purchase I need to make. I eventually plan on having 3, to 4 hundred accounts when my route is mature. There's no way I'd want to push-spread all those lawns.

When it's hotter than all get out in the Summer and when there aren't many good days to go out and get work done, I can see a rider making my life a whole lot easier.

Anyway. I just wanted to come on here and admit that I was wrong about how I felt, but now see the light. Thanks to everyone who helped steer me in the right direction. I should have listened to you earlier.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

its a life saver when its hot out
  3. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

couldn't you use a older ZTR rider and install a electric powered spreader to it? You could take off the mower deck to save weight if needed...
  4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the darkside...:cool:
  5. Victor

Been there, done that. A ZTR would be too big to get into a lot of the backyards I service. It's also too big to get around a lot of the obstacles in lawns too. An HPS is a much better way to go.

6. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I looked at that HPS. Not much of a ride on. I saw a coverage of 100K sq. ft. per hour. and laughed. I would hope you could get more than that out of a ride on. Not trying to sound like a broken record but Z-spray has a new ride on unit coming out that will be made to fit through a gate. Maybe if you get an HPS you will realize how much better it is to ride and then you will be able to justify a move up to the Z-Spray.

Just curious, didn't I see you got rid of your box truck? That would have been nice for what it sounds like you want to do. Wish you well. Go to the expo and look at all the new units out there.
  7. Victor

I love the way the Z-Sprays are built, but I'm not budgeted for their price. I also don't need the ability to spray with this ride-on. I use a skid for spraying. You're right. Someone has put a deposit down on my Isuzu, so that when I'm all done using it for mowing, I'll sell it to them. This is my last year mowing, thank goodness!

Since my lawns are so small on average, I think the HPS would be the best bet for me by far. 100k sq. ft. would equal 20 of my lawns, so productivity wouldn't be a problem.

Rob (who owns Easy Acres here in Columbus), has a small Z-Spray and told me that he still walks a lot of his smaller lawns, because the Z isn't all that easy to use on them (when you have to deal with the nooks and crannies of these small lawns). Since the impeller on an HPS is not tied to wheel speed, I can pull up to a corner (or other small area I can't get the machine into), stop and pop the hopper open momentarily to throw fert back into that nook.

I also love the hill-holding ability of the HPS. Some of my lawns have pretty steep banks in their backyards. From what I've read from HPS users on here, they hold hills really well.

Everything I've seen HPS users say about them in this forum, makes me think they are perfect for an applicator like me, who services mostly small lawns.

As far as the GIE goes, I'm gonna definitely try to make it down there, to check out the equipment.

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would spend the extra money and get a new permagreen Magnum. You will increase your productivity a lot. I think the Permagreen is a more compact machine than the HP and it is more manuverable. I have two Magnums.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

yes the mag is not at long and i think is a much better use of your money and it will hold up to the pounding of the weight of the fert
    also it has perma green to get parts if u need some and not wait on lesco to get u parts for a machine that has little field time on it
  10. Victor

How do the two of you like the way your PG Magnums perform on small lawns? I'm talking about lawns that are around 4k.