Should have saw it coming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Davis Lawn Mowing LLC, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I usually can spot the PITAs over the phone or in the first couple of minutes while giving and estimate but I gotta say this lady sure had her charm. So we walk the property, a normal city lot yard, a little more trimming than most so I give her the local going rate of $20.00 for her lawn. Im a solo, its a 30 minute job tops. Too many LCOs saturating the market driving the price down but you can clean up on the city yards. She tells me she will sign on for the rest of the year, a fall clean up, and 99% sure she will sign on for next year too. She told me some of her neighbors may be interested in my service so I was kinda giddy. As I am about to sign my portion of the agreement for weekly service here comes the classic line. "Now, if you use my mower you should mow my lawn for free right?" Uh, what? If you use my mower I should get it cut for free then since you are not using your equipment. I was stunned. I said, no. Well that only seems fair. I said I use my equipment and this is a business, not a free courtesy service I am providing. But my grandson mowed for me and he did it for free. I told her to call him back to cut her lawn. I also told her to never call my service again and she was lucky I was not billing her for a trip for completely wasting my time.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Was Ashton Kutcher there? Maybe you were on Punk'd.
  3. Outsiders Lawn Artists

Outsiders Lawn Artists LawnSite Member

Pardon my ignorance, what is a pita?
  4. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

No Ashton, but I sure was Punk'd.

PITA is Pain in the Ass.
  5. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like this lady might be suffering from Alzheimer's or as I like to say oldtimers disease, either that or she was just plain stupid.
  6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Is this story made up? If it isn't, that person must have been suffering from some sort of dementia. This is the craziest pita post I've ever read.
  7. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

you shoulda said sure its free. rip the contract and say,"see ya next week". then let the old hag sweat to find someone else.
  8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sound made up to me. I cant believe anyone is crazy to beleive that if they have a mower, they will come. AKA "Mower of dreams"
  9. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

That had to have been the funniest thing I have read on this site. I can't believe she asked you that, I would have laughed at her and just walked out.
  10. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe she meant you could use her mower for all her neighbors and charge them but do her for free?