Should hedgers be sharpened ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cjmoore82, Jul 24, 2012.

1. cjmoore82

cjmoore82 LawnSite Member

Please inform me if I am wrong. One of my employees believe that hedgers should be sharpened every time they are used. I was under the belief that they are never to be sharpened. Please advise.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

we usually have them sharpened once a year in the spring, depends what kid of stuff you are cutting trough, if your just trimming bushes they will last a long time before needing to be done, if your guys are hacking through 1 inch thick stalks then they will need to be sharpened sooner or later.

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Are you talking about motorized or manual ?

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I sharpen when they need it some times only half of the teeth needs them
    If looks like ripping and not leaving a clean cut then then yes
    Sharp ones will trim faster then dull ones

5. cjmoore82

cjmoore82 LawnSite Member

I was talking about gas powered hedgers. My employee seems to think he needs to sharpen tbem every time before we prune hedges. I feel like he is ruining them.

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Diitto, I touch all teeth since I have them apart anyway.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

He's wearing them out with his sharpening regime.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

We sharpen them at leat once a week but we do trim around 30-35 hours a week per trimmer. Sharp ones will leave a nicer finish, trim faster and i suppose it's better for the engine too. I also have to say we change the blades once every 2-3 months
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Sharpening them every time you use them is way too much, your just taking off more metal than necessary. Once a month should be good for normal use, but you do have to sharpen them.

10. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub LawnSite Member

We sharpen our stihl hedge trimmimers depending on the usage and the type of shrubs we trim. We don't overdue the sharpening because it wastes time and the blade doesn't last as long. We get new blades every Spring and go from there.