1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Should hedgers be sharpened ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cjmoore82, Jul 24, 2012.

1. bware0023

bware0023 LawnSite Member

We sharpen our trimmers every 3-4 days if we are pruning yews...every 20-25 days for everything else.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

All 6 of ours get sharpened once a month from April to November then again in January with a gearbox service. I use a mini air belt sander. Once a week is ruining them. Fluid Film is used as a daily lubricant/cleaner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that not all the teeth on the bar is dull. Our units is always dull from the tip up to about 12 inches inward.
    I do the finger sharpness test before and after trimmings because some of our shrubbery can be brutal like hollies. It is unfortunate that we cut things like fencing, metal bars,etc. that is always under around and entwined with shrubbery. Physical inspections is always needed. Other than that, if the bars is bad, then I replace then for 65.00.
    For sharpening.........A flexible dremel tool with mini barrel sandstone bits works wonders.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Been told not to sharpen unless they are mangled and cleaning is all that is needed.

5. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I truly believe before you are allowed to be an owner you should have to take a power equipment maintenance class. Never?? They should be sharpened at least once or twice monthly if you use them regularly. My best friend is a stihl mechanic.

6. PineyPower

PineyPower LawnSite Member

I sharpen them like I sharpen my chain saw. When it needs it. Im not going to shapren them everytime I use them but if I need to. But normally when I sharpen them, I do it lightly since normally when the cut quallity goes down I have found that its do to resin built up on the blades and all I do is clean then blades off. And I use the cleaner/lub stuff on them too

7. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

I just bought a bottle of stihl cleaner and have to say that it works quite well. Just spray it on, agitate with a brush, rinse of with water and blow the blades dry. See the magic happen :) only other thing to do (except sharpening :p ) is burning the blades.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Burning the blades to clean them of tough sap I assume?
    Posted via Mobile Device