1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should homeowners be banned ...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grandview (2006), Jan 15, 2006.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Should homeowners be banned from using fertilizer & weed control? In our area lco's need to send out notices to neighbors 48 hrs. in advance.Plus all your training ,fees insurance and everything else. But the homeowner can go to the store pickup anything they want (not the same strength i know) and go to town with it. We all seen the same thing burn marks on the lawn stripes everywhere spraying miracle grow on everything kids even do the work.States are cracking down on the pro's the DEC giving out fines everywhere.If they ban the homeowner the "weed&feed" in the environment would go down .So should the owner be forced to go to the pro's?
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

90% of fert & "cides are done for profit and are unnecessary , so , what difference does it make , except to YOUR pocket ????????:)
  3. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've said it all along, its going to happen eventually, and honestly feel it should. IF you have plumbing work, electrical work, etc, most municipalities require it to be done by someone certified or licensed to do so. Should be no differnet when it comes to treating your soil, grass, and landscape. As big as the chemical lobbyist and companies are though, don't look for it to happen anytime soon, just hope its in my life time rather than the industry itself being eliminated be other means.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think the government can be intrusive enough, we dont need any more idiotic laws.
  5. ArizPestWeed

Anyone can work on their own home , no license needed .
  6. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

"plumbing work, electrical work, etc"
    I do all that and a whole lot more myself and I would be dammed to hell if I would let anyone tell me I can't. For one thing I can't afford it and for another it has been my experience if I want it done right I have to do it myself. Heck there was an attempt a few years back to keep people from buying automotive parts. You think that should be the law as well? How about lawn mower parts? Only licensed mower mechanics should have access to them as well and lets keep over the counter medicine away from every one too while were at it.

No I don't think it a good idea to tell homeowners they can't get what they need to use on there own yards.
  7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe what bothers me the most is you pull up to a house you have all your gear on ,permits notifying the neighbors,training and you look over at the neighbor and they wave to you while their putting down 10,000sqft of fert. on 2,000sqft lawn barefoot. And they blame us for any problems.
  8. ArizPestWeed

I learned from someone ( who had to tell me several times) to stop paying attention to the homeowners , it's a waste of time and spend more time on how your can make your own business better , without the directed negative
    energy to others .
    Something like that
  9. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I find that to be very wise advice. Some people are just going to do things themselves. Nature of the beast.
    When you are dealing with chemicals, something with the potential to cause longterm harm to all the public, maybe some regulation should be required. But then you'd have a revolution on your hands. People wouldn't stand for it. Also, the gov't wouldn't even try.
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Roughly 50% of all pesticides applied in the US are applied by the homeowner. Of those applied by the homie, around 85% are of the "weed and feed" variety. Guys with few/no weeds putting down huge amounts of cheap herbicide and cheap fertilizer. They don't put down the right amount, figuring that "extra is good". They don't sweep up after themselves, allowing it it to run into storm drains. They throw the extra out with the regular trash. When all of this stuff ends up contaminating the ground water, your local LCO's get blamed for irresposnsible pesticide use. Then the environmentalist have more ammo to ban their use outright (Toronto, Quebec). This hurts us in the end. If it were up to me, you'd need a license to buy DEET.