1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be looking at another machine?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tthomass, Jan 10, 2010.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Some of you know I'm looking at getting a new machine to go along side my T190. I am familiar with Bobcat and know the brand pretty well. If a Bobcat, I'm looking at a T300, T250 or S300 w/VTS.

I'm considering a CAT 262b as I know of a handful of contractors running them. I don't know CAT. My impression, and without anything to back this up, is that they are more expensive to maintain/repair. I don't know why, just an impression. I see lots of different CAT's on the market and don't know what year was good/bad, what models to avoid, which to buy etc etc etc.

So, you see what I'm looking at with Bobcats.......how well does the CAT 262b compare? Are there other CAT's I should be considering? If 262, the idea is to equip with VTS.

2. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you using the machine for?

3. tthomass

from N. VA

Not so important as it is to have a machine that is equal to a Bobcat T250/300 or S300 w/ VTS.

I do a lot of masonry work primarily and landscape construction. Excavation, grading, land clearing.......

I know what suites me with the Bobcat brand, but not the CAT brand. Therefore, if it is as good or better than the above listed Bobcats, it will service my company just fine.

4. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what your budget is but any of the cat c series mtl/ctl are great machines, and it seems like everyone on here likes there takeuchis. From what ive herd they are solid machines. I believe you would want a tl 140 size machine.

I have ran the t300's, s300's(not with vts), t320, S330 and they all (in my opinion) are great machines. Everyone on here has there own opinion , so your best bet might be to narrow down some machines spec wise and book some demo's. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

5. tthomass

from N. VA

The Takeuchis are nice machines. I've run the TL130 and TL150. The pilot controls were smooth.

Thats why I posted up, to narrow down a selection. I don't know the CAT brand very well. I see lots of different CAT's on the market and don't know what year was good/bad, what models to avoid, which to buy etc etc etc. No, I'm not looking to buy new. I know if a '05 T250 with 530hrs on it locally, asking $27k and know I can get for less.

From what I've seen, I can get a Bobcat/CAT and equip it with VTS for $25k. That seems to also be the price, or a little less, for a T250/T300.

6. aloha

aloha LawnSite Member

not to change course but tthomass what do you think of your t-190 i'm looking at one for 12K and I need it to unload sod, pavers, palms from a flatbed. Will it do that work? Or should I be looking for a old new holland 885?

7. tthomass

from N. VA

I don't know anything about the 885. The T190 will unload those materials but it will NOT load them (sod/pavers).

8. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

I have to disagree 100% with you on that. I have a t190 and i have no problem what so ever LOADING pallets of sod or pavers.

9. tthomass

from N. VA

The machine will not put 3,000 pounds into the back of my International. It will try really hard, but won't quite lift it. I can tell you it will unload 4,000 pound but you better know what you're doing! haha

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  10. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

sod and pavers dont weigh 3,000lbs over here. Sod and pavers weigh anywhere from 2200-2500 lbs ive never had a problem with the t190 putting them on my flatbed or dump truck