Should I be putting in bids now or is it too late?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I hadn't planned on picking up any commercials for next year because I can't plow for sure and don't have much experience trimming shrubs, haven't done mulch yet, and don't have a good way to manage clippings. Next year will be another building year before going big time.

So...is it too late to try and put some bids in on the smaller commercials?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

By your own admission you have little experience at much of anything..............

How do you expect to do commercial properties?

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta start somewhere.... just be a fast learner and READ ALOT!

4. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Its never toooooooo Late :dizzy:

5. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I was JUST going to say that ^ !

6. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Are you guys saying you work up unsolicited bids for commercial work? If so, what is the response from the property owner and the lco that currently has the contract? I've always contacted property managers and property owners via mail and asked if they were accepting bids for any of their properties. This way I don't feel like I'm doing anything underhanded. Am I missing out on something here?

7. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I second that. Seems a bit unethical to actively go after someone elses account without some prompting from a prop. manager. It also seems inconsiderate of the prop. managers time to send an unsolicited bid. Send a letter introducing yourself or make a phone call to inquire about their bidding process.