1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I be worried??????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VanceTrendov, Apr 16, 2005.

1. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

A week ago I passed out 5 thousand door hangers, and I have only gotten 16 calls. I was expecting about 1% call backs, and I still have 5 thousand more to pass out. Should I be worried about only getting 16 calls?

A couple of people have told me that it takes a while to get calls. The customers that i talked to said that I had the best looking marketing, and i already bidded 4 cleanup jobs, 3 accepted and that is worth $900 ($700 profit).

This is my first professional year. Last year was a insured scrub. This year I am licensed, insured, have a used 36" exmark viking, new 21" metro, new stihl 130 edger, new stihl 550 blower and an echo 210 for trimming. I do quality work and I am great at talking to customers. Tell me what you think about everything

Vance Trendov
    Trust Lawn Care Inc
  2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i think so far you are doing fine. I got slow response for awhile and now im getting the calls. You also should realize that the lawns that you do could have neighbors who want their lawn done.
  3. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Alot of ppl need to come off there high horse . It don't matter if you got all new shi* all old shi* as long as it is well taken care of it don't matter . I have some things that are 6 years old and run fine . I also have brand new things and they suck . As long as you do it by the book you doing it right .
    But for you ? just give it time no one wants to call first thing most ppl are just paying off there holiday bills . Give it a little time they will come . Just stick to doing it right not cheap just to pick them up .
  4. Ecobjs

Ecobjs LawnSite Member

Hang in there. We distribute around 10k flyers every year. Mainly out of habit. We never have had good results, but it kept the guys busy in the winter. Well this year something odd happend, we got tons of calls on them. Maybe a couple hundred from the flyers alone. I am trying to figure out what we did different/better this year. I will let you know if i figure it out.
  5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Dont worry, as the grass gets greener (not quite sure what your areas looks like right now) you will get more calls and more interest. Good luck this season!
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

sometimes it takes a while for everyone to respond. Many will hold on to those forever.
  7. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

Yeah I quess it takes a while... I am getting some good spring cleanups, I will make some good money there. Plus I am coming into alot of landscaping jobs. Just laying topsoil and sod, and they are going to pay pretty well if they accept the bids.
  8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

remember what week it is tax week ,lawn care is not on top of the list , 30 days from now it will start ,oh boy will it start ,people will start getting returns ,and they will spend
  9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you do top drawer work...the accounts will come. Word of mouth advertising will bring you far more accounts than an other kind of advertising.
  10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with that 100%. The majority of my accounts have come via word of mouth. If you do an excellent job and don't charge an arm and a leg, you'll get customers and those customers will tell all of their friends.