1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I bid or pass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by llama, Mar 19, 2003.

1. llama

llama LawnSite Member

I am currently the purchasing manager for a mfg. co. I am just starting out and have about 10 accounts. Now for my problem, We have a shipping building that we must have cut weekly. The price last year was $60.00. The manager has quotes this year for $50.00 already. The job is priced right at $50.00. My question, I will need to bid $45.00 to get the job, do I bid the job in order to gain more accounts (because I have plenty of time NOW) or do I pass and build my business with more profitable accounts?

Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

It sounds like your privy to inside information. If you think $50 is priced right, $45 isn't that much different. You don't mention the size or how long it would take, so I can't answer your question. Alot goes into pricing. Good luck.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Why can't you bid $50 also?
    If you are a manager of a mfg co. and this is one of their buildings, then you are already associated with the person that makes the hiring decision right? Seems like you would be selected before someone else that bid the same amount.
    Who has the job right now?

No, I wouldn't lower your price just to get the job. You'll end up regretting it later.
  4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Do like on The Price is Right.

$49.99. <G>

Let the Scrub bid $1.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Bid now at $45 and continue to bring down the market like the rest of the people in this industry. It's bad enough it lost ten dollars a cut already over last year, much less another five dollars.
  6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

From what I have seen in the past.

Its not what you know, Its who you know....
    Bid it at $65.00 and brown nose to get the job......Ha Ha.
  7. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

I was not going to respond to this, but, the more i thought about it.....I had to chime in. Since you are the Purchasing manager, do you think it is fair that you have the other bids, then submit yours at a lower price? What the H#&*. If you think you want to mow this property, QUIT your job and then submit your and make a go of it. I think I already know the answer to this.
  8. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

Nicely said Columbia Turf:D :D :D :D :D
    SH8 or get off the pot
  9. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I refuse to use inside information to get work ! I think you should skip out on this one ! You have inside information therefore I think for the sake of ethics you should pass on this account!
  10. llama

llama LawnSite Member

First of all, another employee in the plant has been cutting the grass. It isn't "inside information". The manager has announced the lowest bid to anyone wanting to bid lower.