1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I bid???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wojo23323, Nov 15, 2002.

1. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the oppurtunity to bid on a large Homeowners Association for an annual maintenance contract. The problem is that I have 6 months and 27 days remaining in the Navy until I retire and if Saddham decides to start mining the gulf I would be on a plane to Bahrain in hours. I have one part time employee and he can handle all of my business that I have now, but if I was awarded this job I think it may be too much for him. I don't want to make a bad name for myself with this property management company. I am leaning towards putting in my proposal, but I would like some other opinions on this. Thanks for your help.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would hold off on that one...homeowners associations can be a real PITA.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

So true. I intentionally bid POA's very high just for the fact that you have to please every person living there, not just one. If people come up to me requesting something extra, I tell them they have to talk to the president of the POA. He's the only one that can give the green light.;) ;)
  4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

What Lawns and Mower said.

I had several HOAs, and some were good to work for, and others were PITA.

If you decide to bid it, make sure it is high enough to handle hiring an extra guy to handle the work.
  5. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

In my opinion it would be very foolish to bid something bigger than you can handel for sure. You have to figure that the chances of the U.S. taking sadamm and is regime out of power in the next 6 months is fairly good. My advice is wait, it will be up for bid the next year as will many many other HOAs. Also, thank you for protecting all of us!
  6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I've never had any of those accounts but be prepared to go thump some heads over there!:angry: I love my job but every guy in my family has been in the military but me and my dad, If this business goes under I'm heading to Ft. Benning, GA. Just got through watching black hawk down so I'm pumped, sorry to change the sub.
  7. Ken's Lawn Service

Ken's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Wait, if things work out you will be able to bid later and your name will not have been dragged thru the mud.

Just my opinion.

P.S. If you do have to go serve...... GIVE THOSE RAGHEADS HELL!!!