Should I bother calling....?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DoetschOutdoor, Mar 19, 2007.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Long story short, I mow for an elderly lady that I've had for 3 years. Not the biggest account by any means but it all adds up. Over the weekend, I had a run in with her son-in-law in which he was blowing up at me and my buddy claiming that we left debris in the street last year when my buddy did the cleanup. I held my tongue since I had nothing to do with the job last year and simply told him he was wasting his time writing down my license plate for the cops and I told him not to put his finger in my face...well today I get a call from his mother in law claiming that she is going to switch to a family friend for mowing. I havent talked to her but Im already positive its over the matter this weekend because she was a loyal customer. Im not afraid of losing a few accounts but this is total BS for me to lose an account over this dude. Should I bother calling her and explaining to her that he was out of line with me and that this shouldnt end our relationship? Half of me wants to call her and talk the situation over and the other half of me is aching to drive over to this guys house and really tell him what I think of him and his BS antics now that my customer is gone. If it hadnt been for me thinking of my customer at our first confrontation, things would have gone alot differently when that dude was putting his finger in my face and shouting for me to turn off my equipment so he could rant.

2. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i would call the customer back and ask her if it was anything you did and see if you can resolve it. i would not purposely have another encounter with the rude guy, definately wont solve anything other than if you were looking for a possible trip to jail or losing more customers if they spread rumors because of your agressive tendencies.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would contact her, discuss it, and in the end,...let her know that if you can be of any assistance in the future, to not hesitate to contact you, as she has been and is an excellent customer. As far as the "son in law" goes,...it sounds like he's a hothead, which tells us that he's probably also an abusive idiot, - in which case, he may not be the son in law forever.

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

These are pretty old folks Im dealing with here, the lady I cut for was around 85 and her son in law is around 55 so I dont think he's going anywhere soon. He has a reputation for doing crap like this and its total BS that I lost a customer simply for showing up with my blower to help a friend out for 2 minutes...

5. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I would forget the whole deal and move on. There is no way I would get that worked up over an account. Even if you take the time and talk this lady into letting you continue services, it's only a matter of time before you're confronted with the son-in-law again. MOVE ON! It's not about her being a nice lady, it's about business and I promise you the money you are getting on this account is not worth the problems.

6. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree, You will continue to have problems

7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya, that's pure BS, but let it go, you'll feel better.

8. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I got to say one thing baseball bat,,,,,,,,,,just kidin I would just move on

9. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. A NO-WIN. Forget it anc move on.

10. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I know a fellow that swings a mean shovel :) narr do not give it anymore thought, move on.