Should I break into the next community over?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brian997, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Brian997

Brian997 LawnSite Member

I live in an area of approximately 30,000 people (Orillia). This market may be a little stagnant and slow. There is probably a little bit to much major competition (nurseries, weedman etc.) There is a large city (Barrie), of approximately 100,000 people about 30km away (takes 20 min. driving). My truck gets about 6mpg highway. If I start advertising there, I know I can get clients. Do you think the extra cost of gas is worth trying to tap into the market? From your personal experience, do you think I should I break into Barrie?

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

if youre not getting biz where youre at then you need to go somewhere else so see what happens

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Of course you should. Just because your not based out of that town doesn't mean you cant work there. It's all fair game.

I would be getting a truck with better gas mileage, or KM in your case. Once you take over that town go to the next. Before you know it we will be calling you Cesar Brian

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I cover my entire county because the whole thing is populated, but somedays I have no other choice but to drive from one end to the next, and it takes 20-30 maybe 45 minutes whether I like it, or not.

The thing I do that helps the most is plan out my day's route the evening before, and to always line up the lots like ducks in a row, and to finish in one area before heading to the next.

Doing this prevents me from having to double back, and a lot of times if I only have 1 or 2 lawns on the other end, I may wait an extra day or two until I have 2-3 or more to do, so as to also save on fuel and time.

Now my truck hasn't gotten such horrible mileage since my 1st year, may I recommend an upgrade?
    Then again, your calculations could be off, perhaps you are using liters per 100km?

5. Brian997

Brian997 LawnSite Member

Wow... I had absolutely no idea you guys dealt with such a large area!
    Thanks for the confidence booster Williams :)

6. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

You go where the business suits you the best.We run 1 tons pulling enclosed trailers and we still get better milage then that,downhill with a stiff wind.If I were you I'd be lookin' for something a little easier on fuel to start.What about Wasaga Beach area or Smith falls area has some nice homes.Driving 20 min is not really out of your way.I know up there is a little more expensive but if you can make the trip worth your while go for it. EH? :waving:

7. Brian997

Brian997 LawnSite Member

Yes, I'll look into it, Wasaga Beach is about an hour away, and that would be a very good market. (Lots of cottage owners). I might have a little bit of a hard time getting a new vehicle though, as I am only 19. The truck I drive now was my Dads, and I convinced him to give it to me.

8. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

Even with the exchange that is still the best price!LOL:laugh:

9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

In 3 weeks I'll be driving 25 minutes every morning to my 'customer' area. I figure the 25 minute ride back home every night will be my 'reflection' time. :) hahah

10. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I drive approx 20 min to my service area, but in the past I have drove as much as 45 min. You have to go to where the work is, but make sure you add that into your cost of business.