should i buy a 10 or 12 foot dump traiiler?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by clydesdale, Jul 6, 2004.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at 10000 lb , cam superline or brimar dump trailer. I want to be able to take home rental equipment like a bobcat or small loader. What is the size of choice for landscapers? THANKS

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 12 footer. Wish we had a 14 footer. Get whatever you can afford. You'll always wish you went bigger.

3. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

What prices are you guys paying for your 12' to 14' dump trailers?

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

$5800 for an 8.5 x 12 Bri-Mar dual ram dump with ramps. 10,000 lb. capacity.

5. Last year, before I started doing lawn installs, I purchased a Hawke 10.000 GVW 12x6 for, I think, $4900. I can get my 33hp New Holland with loader in it but no attachments. Even if it was 14 foot long it would be too narrow for most of my attachments: 6ft. york rake, 6ft. box scraper, 6ft. harley. I tried shuffling stuff in and out of the truck box and eventually bought an 18ft. equipment trailer. If I had to purchase another dump I'd go smaller to meet my present needs. I'm not saying you should go smaller, I'm saying make sure you know what your needs are. Have a big enough truck to pull what get and if you go over 10,000 GVW on the trailer you may need a CDL in NYS.

6. Jacob's Yardworks LLC

Jacob's Yardworks LLC LawnSite Member

I just got a 10,000 GVW Hawke dump trailer too. How do you like yours?

7. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

Just ordered a Anderson 6.2x10 5ton LP,ramps,adjustable coupler and tarp kit $5600.I wouldn't go bigger if you plan on filling with dirt or rock.

8. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

The bigger the better, might as well get the 12 footer, or get as big as you can afford.

9. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Get atleast a 12ft, we have the 6x10 brimar low pro and wish we had the 12'
    can't fit skid or excavator or tractor in the 10'

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have the 14 footer and love that we went with the biggest we could. Its a Bri-Mar 12k GVWR, drop axles, 14' bed length, dual cylinders, and we have 12" PT with advertisement on the three sides.

The drop axles makes it easier to get a larger machine on it. We've had a Kubota L35 on it but the bucket and hoe are just outside the trailer dimensions. We also had a yanmar mini-ex, can't remember the model number but its apprarent weight was 7k#...I think a C35 or something...

Anyhow, I would go with the absolute biggest you can afford, especially if you are hauling stone...hell legally I can only place about 4T of stone in there, which isn't even 4 cubic yards. I can get 10 cubic yards of mulch in it fairly easily...eleven is pushing it with a big ol' hump in the middle.

We purchased new in 03 and paid 6800 which included the tarp roller in central jersey.