Should I buy a 60 Exmark or 72 Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madness0827, Aug 3, 2012.

1. madness0827

madness0827 LawnSite Member

Hello,

I am buying a new zero turn next week. I currently own toro and exmark ztr's.

possible new mower

1.Toro
    72 inch mower
    29 Kawasaki
    20 hours of use (demo)

2.Exmark
    25 Hp kohler
    new

Both are the same price, i have the same exmark now and it has 500 hundred hours on it, with no problems. I used the toro 72 today. It is a nice machine but i heard that the Kawasaki engines have had a lot of problems. Anyone have experience with the 29 hp Kawasaki.

Thanks

2. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

I favor a Gravely with a Kawi.... :)

The most recent engine story I know of happened to be a Kohler. A friend took his newish Toro in and dropped it off for an oil change. A day later he called to check on it.

The mower's engine had a recall that the owner was not aware of. No notification was sent from Kohler to him. The engine was in the process of sitting and waiting for a part to show up. To my knowledge it was an internal part. Just why would Kohler be trying to keep this a quiet issue? Why would a reputable dealer try to fix a recall without notifying the owner? It all smells of a sneaky cover-up!

3. madness0827

madness0827 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, anyone else have a kaw 29hp?

4. thegrassbarber

thegrassbarber LawnSite Member

I guess it really depends on what you are going to use it on, if you have really big and flat commercial properties or the same with residentials then I think the 72 would be ok, but I prefer the xmark 60 I have two of them and also a gravley 60 they are very easy to maintain and they are good for most types of terrain. And the extra 12 inches on the cut isnt going to save you a ton of time on small properties but im sure you already know this. For the money and quality xmark is a very good mower. And alot of times in this business its good to go with what you know and what you are familiar with.