Should I buy a beater truck for about a grand or stick with my car?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ecoscape01, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I bet this one is gonna get all kinds of trash-talkers but here we go: As of right now I'm plannin on startin my residential properties by putting my small equip in the back of my '05 Accent hatchback. My girlfriend (who lives with me) recently offered to loan me some money for start-up equip if I would like. I was planning on using my car until I can afford a decent used truck but should I just start with an old beater instead. For instance, something like this http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/284904846.html or should I just wait and buy something better when my budget allows. I've been feelin funny about the whole car thing. I know people have done it but i'm startin to think about how much I would feel like a D-Bag when I roll up to someone's house with a Hyundai Accent full of lawncare equipment. Also the car will impede my ability to upgrade equip so no matter what I have to get a truck. The question is when and for how much. Would even a beater like this be suitable for my first season?

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you wont get any good accounts, the ones you get will be cheapskates, and you will not profit from that....

and how are you going to lift a commercial mower into a trunk of a car... you arent, which means

you dont have the equipment to start a business, or a vehicle.....

or a license, or insurance, or commercial plates,sounds like you need to get more working capital before you go into this....get a truck, a few accounts, and get commercial equipment... get insurance before you cut your first lawn

3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto, lawn care isnt as easy as it seems. Save your money first, and get a better truck, and if you dont like the business, you can still find a multitude of things you can use a truck for.

4. Ecoscape01

Well I already have a "License" if that's what you wanna call it. I registered my fictitious name and applied for my vendor's permit which allows me to collect sales tax - in Pa you have to for lawncare. As far as the mower I'm not starting with a commercial. I looked into a used Honda 215Hydro for $595(1 year old but don't know how many hours) and posted a thread. The majority said just start out with a 22" Toro self-pace from your favorite DAVEINTOLEDO - HOME CHEAPO (sarcasm added). All other equip handhelds, etc would be commercial. Didn't ask for business advice - you've ripped me before Dave but what I'm asking is which is the lesser of two evils - using a cheap truck or my car. You're constructive criticism would be appreciated

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

If it were me id go for the cheap truck, way way better then your car.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

go for the cheap truck and sell your car for start up money.

7. Ecoscape01

Oh and for a small LCO like me I only need about 300,000 for liability (remember I'm not doin any commercial props which require a mil)- I looked into that already of course and that will run me a few hundred. I've thought about the car and it's out of the question. It's financed and using it for lawncare would destroy it in a summer - BAD IDEA. Shouldn't of posted the thread I guess but any suggestions about a particular truck to look for would be great!

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

2 mil liability and 25 grand in equiptment insurance only runs me $70 a month. Be best to a million minimum. You never know what would happen!

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

attitude is hard to come accross in type..(picture me with a friendly warm smile)....:)

glad to hear your going to be leagl, that is half the battle, ... like i said, just get a decent truck to start... get a couple of accounts and get a commercial mower with the fisrt months revenue.... you will need it.... good luck...:)

see, still smiling....:)

10. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

truck seems nice.... $850 for that and its a 4x4 thats a nice deal...... down here it is maybe its different in the north.... a truck like that with 4wd at a used car dealership or... even someones front yard down here would prolly sell at$1200 - $1500.... but then again..... it says it has rust on it.... depending on how bad the rust is would bring the value down.... and it also matters how good the motor runs.... but i know a guy who sold an old school S-10 like that was a 2wd stick shift with 275k miles on it for $900 if that tells ya anything lol and it diditn look nearly as good as that one does...... id buy that truck..... to me thats a steal