Should I buy a Lesco or an Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rblantonjr, Sep 4, 2007.

1. rblantonjr

rblantonjr LawnSite Member

Would you purchase a used Exmark Viking walk-behind that has had the engine rebuilt and a new hydro-motor on one of the wheels. Also comes with a velke. Or should I purchase a Lesco gear drive new. I can purchase the used Exmark Viking (hydro) for about $1500.00 or the new Lesco gear drive for approx. $2400. What would you do?:hammerhead:

2. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

Keep looking and spend the $2400 on an exmark in better condition.

3. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark with rebuilt engine and replace hydro, how much longer are the spindles going to last and they other hydro? Sounds like the mower has alot of hours on it. Might not be hydro, but you can get a pretty damn nice wb with real low hours for $2000 or less.

4. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

Base your purchases on what you need...not just what you can spend.

If you need hydro...then don't even look at gear drives.

If you don't need hydro...there are plenty of reasonably priced
    gear drives other than Lesco. Lesco is not bad, but it suits a very
    specific situation.

And don't forget the dealer speech....yada yada

5. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

There's alot of good equipment being offered up for sale in most parts of the country especially the South where we have been hammered by the drought. Don't buy the first thing you see! There are too many better options out there. eXmark would be my choice over the Lesco mower. Do some research on this forum.
    Good luck!

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Do any yards with picket or chain link fences? The configuration of your hands on the Lesco's handlebar will LITERALLY WEAR you out!

7. rblantonjr

rblantonjr LawnSite Member

I was given wrong information. The motor is new with only 40 hours on it. If you were going to buy another mower to have as a spare and also to use on small yards what would you get? I currently have a Scag Tiger Cub with a 48 inch deck.