1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy a rototiller

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Nomowastro, May 18, 2007.

1. Nomowastro

Nomowastro LawnSite Member

does anyone think buying a rototiller is a good investment? or should i just keep renting ?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

we've rented rototillers in the past, but then we found a used one that we picked up. if you can find a used one that is in good conditon, that's the way to go. you'll find a rototiller will come in handy a lot.
  3. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Can the cost of a new or used roto tiller support itself? In other words, do you have enough work to justify the cost and maintenance. If not, continue renting. This is what I used when contemplating an aerator.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I was able to pick up a used Troy Bilt cheap about 6-7 years ago. But it is something that I only use maybe 4-5 days a year. I don't think I would ever have bought one if I didn't find this one cheap. Only you know your business, but if you are only rototilling occasionally, I would continue renting.
  5. Nomowastro

Nomowastro LawnSite Member

I just hate the rental hassle.
  6. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Two Words........yard Sale
  7. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It does not take very many rentals to justify the purchase of a tiller (as they are not that expensive and they are simple to maintain)
  8. mlhm5

mlhm5 LawnSite Member
    from NC

If you are doing flower beds, small areas or next to the house to clean out overgrowth or to scratch up to plant grass, I would consider the 20lb wonder - Mantis - ebay is your friend on this one.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Probably can get a new Echo for price of used Mantis..$300. The Mantis is very heavy to get in/out of truck bed,.....4 stroke.