Should I buy a TOYOTA TUNDRA?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ETturfman, Mar 11, 2001.

1. ETturfman

ETturfman LawnSite Member

I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger truck and I love Toyota -always have- but I was wondering if the Tundra 4x4 V8 is big and powerful enough to pull about 3500-4000K lbs. of lawn servicing merchandise. It's a 1/2 ton so I'm thinking it would not be a problem but I'd appreciate any input you all have on this. Also, are any of you familiar with the Toyota Tacoma? It's a step down, but if it will pull what I need it too then maybe I can save a little money.

Thanks,

ETturfman

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

They show them pulling boats up long hills on the commercials. I think it should be plenty strong enough to pull the weight your talking about. If you get the Tacoma I.ll give you a bedliner, I found it at one of my accounts with a sign on it that said FREE........I snagged it!

3. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

You might want to consider a 3/4 ton truck. i have always used 3/4 ton and plus trucks. They have always held up better in everyday use and pulling of any wieght.

4. My sister loves her Tundra but dont pull nothing with it! I think its an awesome truck. Good V-8. Not sure if fit your needs and maybe something like GMC HD with Allison tranny would be all one would need.

I would take either of the two and put to good use.

Aloha,

Kevin

5. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I checked into them and the tundra is like a heavy half or the light 3/4 tons they are selling now. It has the heaviest 12 ton towing rating of all pick up mfgrs.
    I just need more room up front for what I am going to be doing.
    Jim

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Natural lawn-Toyota advetises its top of line powertrain against the base engine and small V-8's the american 1500 's have,with a 5.3 V8,and 4.10 gears,the chevy Silverado 1500 has a 14000GCVWR,it weighs 4500-5000 lbs-its tow rating is 9000 lbs-I thought the tundra's was in the 7K range-I could be wrong-but the tundra is too short to tow 7K safley in my opinion anyway.Do not think for a minute that the tundra is anywhere near a 3/4 ton american truck-the dealer told my neighbor that,he bought one-and loads it with firewood-he is wishing he never sold his 2500 chevy-the toy is a toy next to it.He can only put 1/2 the wood in it,and the bumper is only a few inches off the ground.He likes it better empty,but its not worth much as a work truck.I would think if your only towing 3-4K,and never plan to use the bed for anything heavy-the toy would do fine-but if your future plans are to upgrade or get an enclosed trailer-buy a real 3/4 ton truck-they are the best,small enough to drive everyday,HD enough to do 99% of what most guys need to do.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 03-11-2001 at 02:18 PM]

7. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It has the best as they stated on their advertisements for base line trucks. I think as far as 12 tons go they would be ok. But you gotta watch out for this thing they are calling a light 34 ton they only have a 7200lb gvw.

My 87 heavy half has a 7700lb gvw with a 305 ci.
    I myself need a crew cab and prefer a 1 ton.

I have had gcvw of 18000 on my old p/u but it was a load and breaking was a risk. You can gear most engins to pull a load but the breaking is what worries me.

8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Go to the search button, I put out a thread a while back on the snowplowing forum regarding the tundra.

9. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I love foreign when it comes to motors and reliability. But when it comes to being a heavy duty series truck they cant compare to american standards. A freind has a toyota tundra and if you give it a good look over one day even sitting next to a half ton american i think you'll see the diferences plain as day , i did!!

10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a toyota t100. I think Toyota makes the best trucks out there. It has 100k on it and the only thing I have put into it is brakes and tires. I have yet to have to change the clutch either. I don't think they are made for big loads just like everyone else says. I put a 12ft trailer on it and load it with grass and it still pulls fine. Its only a 4 cylinder too!! I put air shocks on it, too keep it off the ground. IFor big trailers and big loads, a 3/4 ton or bigger is necessary. I have a 16 ft trailer and wouldn't even bother putting it on my toyota, that trailer stays on my 3/4 ton. Toyota's are pretty pricy and for that money I would get a 3/4 ton.