Should I buy a used 36 or new?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 23, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

A lawnsite member wants to sell a Toro 36wb, proline year 2000 mower with about 530 ( estimated) hours on it ( no hour meter). Is it worth $900 for something with this many hours? I have credit for a $3,000 new scag. Both the $900 used unit and $3000 new scag are belt driven. I'd really like to save some $ and get a used one, but how many more hours shoud I expect out of a Toro like this? If I test it out, are there any things to look for? What is the most that it would cost me to get things repaired if there were to be a major malfunction shortly down the road?

2. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

If you're a guy that takes care of things and plan on being in the business AND you have the funds why not buy new. If you're short on cash take your time and buy a good used machine.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I would take a look at the used Toro. If it is in good shape and appears to be well maintaied you might have saved some money.

Repairs can vary. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you may be able to save some labor cost.

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Start with the used machine .IMHO It would be best until you can pay cash for the new one .

5. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I second that, I would never buy anything on credit your asking for trouble. I see nothing wrong with buying a well maintained used machine. I bought a used bobcat 48" WB last year and the machine was used but for $400 I figured it was worth the risk. It still runs great and hasnt cost me anything for major repairs. Commercial equipment is usually built like a tank.

6. green-pa

Thanks guys! I Think I may take a look more seriously on the used models. Is there any date I shouldn't go back to? Like should I stay above 2000? How old or too many hours is too old to risk?

7. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Toro self propelled mower that is about 6-7 years old and still running very strong. Toros last a while.....

8. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

If the 36 is going to be your main machine....new
    By the time you section it (196?) on your taxes, it will only cost you 40%
    If it is only going to be used on a few gated properties,,used

Just .02
    Alan

9. green-pa

So are u saying that a used 2000 36wb Toro with about 500 hours on it used on a 3 acre lot would only be good now for like 2-3 gated properties? I will be needing it for at least 12-20 properties, mostly 1/6 acre to 1 acre.

10. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

No
    I am saying that if it is going to be your main mower, don't skimp.
    Try to buy the correct one first.
    Have you thought about a 44,,,,since the new toro's have come
    out there are some good deals to be had.
    I have a bobcat 36 and it is a great machine.
    I would not like it as much if I didn't have a 52.

You will run out of money before you run out of good deals,,,get the size
    that serves you most

Alan