should i buy a Yazhookie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Nov 15, 2000.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to puchase a used 1997 Yazookie with 900hrs. for $1200- three wheel rider?-whatever that is

wondering if its worth it?
    do you like Yazookies?

2. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

do you mean Yazoo/Kees?

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

If you can't spell it and never heard of it before. Why on earth would you want to buy it?

4. Hello Double e:

Need more info about the unit?

If the unit is at least 18hp twinn kohler, 48" cut & has a Sunstran Hydro & it's in average or better shape. Probably worth about $3,500. Just a rough guesstimate. I figure everything used at about 50% & go from there depending on condition. It has worked very well for me figuring cost that way.

I had 3 of them back in the old days. If it's the regular 3 wheel Yazoo. I had a custom built Grass Catcher on it, that I designed & had a welding shop build.

Cutting roughly 1" to 2" of centipede it would cut up to 10 to 12 mph, on very level terrain. LOL, top end was 17 mph on mine no BS, but the deck bounced to much at high speeds.

That was a 18.5 twin kohlar turning about 3,200 rpms. If sitting still on pavement & you press the pedal all the way, it would spin the tires. I was the first in my area to own them & I would draw a crowd cutting grass.

Only problem was the size of the unit more like a dinosaur. Mine with grasscatcher weighed about 2,100 lbs. About 10 ft. long & about 5' wide. But where I lived most lawns were 1/2 acre & up. So it was perfect for us.

Fast as lightening, but had to be very careful, it naturally born do some damage if you hit something. Very rugged mower & dependable back then. I do not know how the quality has changed in the last 12 or 15 years.

You probably get better answers from Ed Wagner at www.turfquip.com. If not he could point you in the right direction.

I know a great deal about them that was around in the mid 80's, but do not know about newer ones.

Mine ran new $7,000 maybe a little more, I can't remember exactly & then $1,500 for the catcher, at that time nothing could come close to it. This is compairing to other Equipment in the area.

If you do not have a dealer in your area, best thing to do is pass it up. I base this decision on Parts Availibility & Service. If you do not have this combination avaiable you will have a hard time with it.

I wish you the Best!

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

kazundheit :)

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

GrassMaster wrote:

<b><i>Cutting roughly 1" to 2" of centipede it would cut up to 10 to 12 mph, on very level terrain. LOL, top end was 17 mph on mine no BS, but the deck bounced to much at high speeds.</b></i>

This was because of the <i>Sauer Sundstrand</i> tranny in it. The top end speed is linkage adjustable and it sounds like someone was having fun with yours. My Woods CM36 walkbehind had one of these trannies and 2 minutes with a 1/2" wrench would have it outrunning Dixies. The only problem I ever had with it was the bolts worked their way out of the spider cage (yes, it uses an automotive type differential) and the mower wouldn't move.