should I buy exmark metro wb or Husqvarna?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by island_rob, May 30, 2006.

1. island_rob

island_rob LawnSite Member

Need help on if there is a big difference? The exmark is 36 belt kohler15hp with ecs for 2800. The Huqvarna is 36 belt with kawasaki 13hp,ecs 2400.
    Need help ?
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You can find a used hydro walk with much better productivity for that price. Keep looking in papers. Why you want to spend 2k-3k for a belt walk? What a waste. That thing is not much difference from a 21er for profit, cause you deal with fatigue like never been before. trust me with 90 degree in Cocoa beach....boy sweat bucket.

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I agree w/ MTR. I unfortunately made the mistake of buying a brand new Metro HP 48" WB belt drive. I didn't listen to all of the good advice on here about how bad belt drives are and now I'm stuck w/ a brand new one. They perform ok, but they will wear you out. After mowing 3 lawns, I feel like I have been mowing all day. I wish now that I had got a used dual hydro or a new single hydro quick 36 for only $2500.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

After running both a hydro and belt drive machine last year, I wish I had the hydro drive on the 36". The hydro was great but I did not need a 52" cut so it had to go. The hydro was so much better though!
  5. H2OandNcutter

H2OandNcutter LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hey Island Rob,

Other than to do the demo I've not really "used" a belt drive WB. That said, I can't imagine not running a hydro WB! I have a 36 inch TT HP that I purchased as a very slightly used demo, from my dealer, with full warranty, at a nice discount - it looked brand new.

Unless someone could convince me of the belt drive superiority, which is rather unlikely, I'd never be without the hydro WB. If for no other reason ya just gotta love the real reverse feature! You can back yourself up hills and out of places you might not ought to have been into in the first place. And, you can back onto/into your trailer or garage.

Not exactly the answer to your question but rather my opinion.

Good luck,

ENDURO LawnSite Member

Oh Yeah. REVERSE !!! I almost forgot how much I wish I had it. Do not believe anyone who says a belt drive has reverse. It actually has it, but it is useless for anything but flat ground and even then it's just reverse assist. I get my walkbehind stuck almost everytime I use it. It is probably my fault for going into a dip or slope that I shouldn't, but it doesn't take much of a hill at all and before you know it, your jerking on the thing trying to move backwards up a slight slope and it is just about impossible. If you have enough room to spin it around, that's great. If you get into a tight place, your in trouble. Get a hydro!! The only time I would recommend a belt drive is if it was a backup mower that would not be used very much. The enourmous amount of money you can save on a belt drive is still not worth it if you will be using it a lot. You will loose money in the end. Either by productivity loss or selling the machine and taking a loss. I'm sure there are experts out there that have no problem man-handling a belt drive all day long w/ no problems, I'm just not one of them. I wish I were b/c I have one and as I said before, it wears me out fast.
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You think you can handle 50+ accounts with that metro?...answer is clear...
    best regards.