Should I buy grasshopper 428d and why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dozerdogue, Sep 29, 2006.

1. dozerdogue

dozerdogue LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have narrowed my search down to 2 different machines the grasshopper 428d or the John deere 997. I have demoed several other mowers to include the exmark lazer xs w/31hp and ferris is 4500 28hp cat and am moving on. I would like to hear the pro's and con's of these 2 machines and how they perform side by side if anyone has done so. I'm getting a demo grasshopper this week although it probably won't be the 428d due to lack of availability and all the JD 997 are sold out her in Ct so I wont be able to demo one. I know its going to be a 60" machine just not sure which one to buy. I cut about 3 acres at my house and have about 30 residential and 10 commercial accounts. The mowing conditions are usually rough, wet and the grass is high with some hills.

dozerdogue
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to dozerdogue
    Find all posts by dozerdogue
    Add dozerdogue to Your Buddy List

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with a scag sabre tooth with a vanguard diesel.

3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Scag mowers = top quality. Vanguard diesel - not sure. The Grasshopper 428D is a beast. The Kubota Diesel on the 428 is a tried and true legend. :usflag:

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought one of the first 428D's off the assembly line. That machine was one heck of a mower. I owned it for 4 years, until I downsized. Never gave me any problems, cut anything I could knock down with it, and the Kubota diesel was a workhorse that used very little fuel. I used it for everything from finish mowing at city parks, to mowing pasture fields.
    That machine helped convince me to become a Grasshopper dealer.

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Talk is scag is going with the kubota in 2007,you know briggs makes a top engine there is a lot of people down on em but vanguards come with a two year warranty.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

What size hydro pumps come on the 428 grasshopper.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Hydro pumps are 21L models.

8. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... There's a lot of years of experience behind GRASSHOPPER. And if I recall correctly, the hydro's will last 2000 to 3000 hours before rebuilding.

:)