should i buy? is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Sep 29, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about John Deere as a product, I used an old 52" pistol-grip gear-drive many years ago and it was a tough machine but I hated it because of the pistol grips...

This one appears to be a stander but I can't be 100% sure because there are no clear rear-end pictures...

However, if you can verify that it is a stander, and perhaps get some feedback from someone with prior experience, I would say this is an excellent deal as standers of most any category run around 5-7k but:

A 60" deck really could go on a Z, either way it qualifies this machine as more than an entry-level WAM, so you'll need wide open areas to use it on (you can always lower your per acre price lol) as it will not fit through anything except double gates and on small yards that big deck will only frustrate you. Also, it will likely involve a learning curve so that you don't scalp too much, the biggest deck I've used is a 52" and anything beyond that really needs at least 6 of those deck-casters to prevent scalping, and an independent front suspension would be nice, but it is a floating deck and that will help some.
    Still, on wide open areas a 60" deck cuts a path so wide it will amaze you, and I think as an acre+ cutter, this would be one machine I would take into serious consideration (were it not for the fact that I just bought a 60" Z).

Hope that helps.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

uhhh ya what he said ^^^^^^^^^Yes, I think so, almost , maybe, dont think so, NO, definatly not.