Should I Buy Now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've discussed these trimmers before, but want your opinion. My dealer sells the Shindaiwa T261 trimmer for $360.00, and has a T231 in stock. I can get the T231 for $250.00. Does that sound like a good deal. I've been planning on gettin a Shindaiwa trimmer for next year. Should I take it? Thanks for your opinions guys. Sorry I haven't been on. I moved and have no internet at my mom's house. I've also been mowing alot, but that's coming to an end.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Wait till spring you have not got many cuts left.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Waiting till spring may put you in the boat of higher prices that are supposedly (from rumors) going to increase noticeably on equipment. The thing to remember with Shindaiwa (and many other brands) is that they're coming from Japan which means shipping overseas on large boats. These shipping companies start charging more for freighting across the water and manufacturers have no choice but to increase the sale prices of their product.

I still think it would be cheaper to build a factory here and ship in a bunch of little Japanese guys to run it and cut out the overseas shipping costs.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would also buy the T261 instead of the 231. you won't regret the power.

5. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The T261 is 1.3HP and the T231 is 1.1HP. That is only a .2HP difference. Why would I notice such a big difference?

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to save the $110 plus sales tax and just get the 230.
    Those are good trimmers and will certainly whip the Toros.
    But use your appetite for power to pass judgement.

Since you have the 261 edger, you have an idea what kind of power you'll get for $360.

7. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

IMO the 261 is the better buy. Yes the difference in power is very much an issue if you are using it in commericial business. Also use string no thicker than .095. I've tried all three sizes and the .105 is just too thick and slows down the head speed a lot. Be your own best judge of size but sometimes bigger is better. The 231 works harder to do the same work and will wear out much too soon. Consider how long you want something to work before it wears out and I think you will go with the 261.
    Tim

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up a 231 a few weeks ago and returned it . It was light and I may get one in the future for that reason but was underpowered for a lot of lakefronts I do. The 261 was heavy so I looked at the redmax 2600 it was only 299 and has a 2 year warranty