Should I buy this mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johndeeregreen, May 2, 2004.

1. johndeeregreen

johndeeregreen LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

The guy who lives behind me owns a 96 Honda 36" walk behind,pistol grip he wants to get rid of for $1,000. The mower has 560 hours of work on it and it cranks up on the first pull. The mower just sits in his shed and he only uses it to cut his yard at home now. I have been friends with this guy forever, although he is a couple years older than me. I have about 10 lawns, and I'm hoping to get about 20-30. Is this a good deal for this mower? I make about $375/week with the lawns I have now and I could pay it off in about 3 weeks. Give me your honest opinions, I have always known Honda to be a great brand name.

2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure thats not a Stealth with a honda engine on it?

3. johndeeregreen

from Memphis

I wish I could tell you, would that exactly be a bad thing?

4. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

If you are confident that the machine is in good running order then the price is not bad. Is a 36" bigger than the mower that you are using now? If so, I would buy it.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

check for parts and service in your area.

commercial honda never caught on in my area even though I thought it would be a natural.

GEO

6. johndeeregreen

from Memphis

As of now I use a 21" push mower. He says they don't make the mower anymore but they do make the parts for it. My small engine shop teacher at school has a very good access to all kinds of parts and would probably do repair for me and not charge me for labor.:cool: So what do ya think guys?

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Go for it. I had a chance to buy one last year and kick myself for not doing it. it only had 183 hrs though. You can get the proslide to work on it the only sulkie that I know of that will work with the honda. I belive it has the 13 hp on it which is one of their best and still use it on just about everything. As for parts availibility in your area I am not sure of but here they could get everything. Good luck try to get him for 800.

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Assuming it is a belt drive and a new comparable (and more advanced) unit would cost around $2500 +/- a few hundred, $1000 sounds a little high for an 8 year old mower (even with only 560 hours. The bad thing about it being 8 years old is parts availability. . .how many more years will they be available (which is something I seriously consider when making a purchase).

On the positive side, it's only seen about 16% of it's lifespan (assuming the engine is good for 3000 hrs) before a major overhaul. If you look at it that way (depreciation from use only - which is not how it really works), it would be worth $2100.

My opinion, $1000 is too high.

9. Evermow

Evermow LawnSite Member

$1,000 does seem a little high.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's a pretty darn old mower, hours or not (which can't be verified). Especially for an unsucessful design (at least in the marketplace)

I see better mowers going for that on Ebay all the time.