1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy this truck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Steve's Mow & Trim, Jan 24, 2007.

1. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be OK as long as mechanic approves. Most important - stay out of a lot of debt. You want the money going in your pocket, not some banks.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Have it looked at by "YOUR" mechanic.....

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

1600 dollars? It would already be pulling one of my trailers

4. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

My friend just sold a 89 Dodge 250 powerwagon. 110k on motor and a 7' meyers plow for 1600.
    Had a cap, all new brakes, rotor, plug, fuel filter, hoses, etc. Need a new trans seal.
    I would check the trans fluid, radiator, brakes, exhaust, all fluids. Also check the floor, could have big rust spots for that year.

5. Cracker Station

Cracker Station LawnSite Member

My thoughts exactly. 97 chevy 2500 with 214K miles on it now. Gave 3grand for it 2 years ago with less miles, and I expect it to go much further. No notes on it

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a quote of $135 from a local Ford dealer to check over an F150 I was looking at. That included compression and leak down tests. That would be almost 10% of the cost of the truck. I don't know if you can get it looked at fro less, but it seems like a large sum to pay for such an inexpensive truck.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

As long as the truck is mechanically sound, I think that is a good price.

I bought a used '95 GMC 2500 4x4, 5.7 V-8 auto with a boss v-plow from a large truck leasing company. It has 120K on it but runs very good.

Price? 1500 bucks. But, I'm an employee of the company:)

8. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

Doesn't sound to bad. I just bought a 2000 model GMC 2500 2wd a week ago. I paid 3000.00. It was a large construction companies truck. They put a lot of miles on them but they keep them serviced. (130k). I would look around at some other trucks and compare the prices from private owners as well as commercial company trucks. I would also recommend getting a 3/4 ton for better towing and hauling especially If you are getting it primarily for you business.

9. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good, how big is your trailer? How much weight are you pulling? You don't want to overload the truck at its condition. Spend $1600 for the truck, put new brakes on it and spend a few more to letter it... your at $2000. Thats quite a money maker for ya. If I didn't have to plow in the winter I would get a used 2wd instead of the new F250 4x4 this spring.

10. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

Im pulling a small 5x8 trailer with my trimmers on racks, 560lb john deere, a push mower and a toolbox on the front of the trailer. The truck doesn't need new breaks, they work very well. I already have professionaly made magnetic signs that I will be putting on the truck so I don't need lettering.