1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy this used Scag?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 90c4, Jun 17, 2004.

1. 90c4

90c4 LawnSite Member

Here's the deal - I probably shouldn't be in this forum since I am not in the business, but I only like to buy decent equipment and I didn't know who else to ask. I'm buying a house with a 1 acre lawn. I have a standard push mower - an Ariens 911 - and I have a feeling it will take me a lot longer than I want to spend. I saw an ad for a 2003 48" belt drive with grass catcher for $2300 with 60 hours on it. Ad also says it has a thatcher attachment, but I didn't see a thatcher listed on Scag's site - maybe a meant mulcher.

First, is this way overkill? I have to use something, and I'd like to be done in less than an hour. I was originally planning on a 36".

Second, is this a ripoff, fair price. great price?

Third, I'd probably keep this in my garage, but the house has a deck, and the previous owner kept his mower under it - at the back of the deck there is a section where the house is on pillars, so it's actually under the house. It would be dry, but still subject to New England moisture from snow and rain. I assume keeping it there would be a total mistake, right?

Thanks for letting me post here.