Should I Buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott H, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, I have a question about buying a used walk-behind. I currently have two exmark 36" walk-behinds. I was looking in the papaer the other day, and I saw someone selling a 61" Toro walk-behind. It is a belt drive with a 16HP kohler magnum V-Twin engine. He said it is about seven years old; 4 of them it was used commercially and the last three it was used only to cut his lawn once a week. He wants $800.00 and that price includes a velke. I figured I could sell one of my 36's for 500-600 and only have to pay 200-300 to upgrade to a 61".

Anyhow, my question is do you think I should buy the Walk-behind or not. I am not familar with either kohler engines or toros. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I think Stone is already on his way to Maryland to steal that from under your nose.
    Seriously, If it is in good shape you can't go wrong. If you don't want it e-mail me as my church is looking for a good mower at the right price.

3. There is no such animal as a 61" Toro walk-behind
    with a 16HP kohler magnum V-Twin engine.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If it's a Magnum Kohler, it's not a V engine. If it is a V, it's not a Magnum. I don't know much about the Toro, but I do know about the Kohlers.

5. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

I am going to look at the mower on tuesday night, I'll find out exactly what engine it has.

6. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

I went and looked at the mower last night, and I ended up buying it. I got it for $700.00

It was a 62" Toro with a floating deck and 16HP Magnum Engine. I know alot of you said they don't come in a two cylinder model, but this one is. It runs great and is in good condition. It has an electric start and starts right up. It came with a velke and 3 sets of blades.

Thanks for your comments,
    Scott

7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Sounds like a good pickup.. If you hear a knocking on your door late at night it's probably Stone!!

8. Buy a new trimmer trap convertable stand on sulky for the 62 and put the velke on your 36 thats left.

Also make sure the traction belt (engine to trans belt) has the spring loaded idler arm type adjustment vs. the idler pully in a slot on the frame (manual) adjustment.

Plus always install a new traction belt once a year. That 62" gear drive should give you good service for you are a flatlander.

With the sulky you still only have a $1000 investment.
    It has the same exact deck as a new $9000 efi Z master.

The only problem is it only goes 5 mph but that makes for a
    superior cut with just single oem blades.

9. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

Stone,

I believe it does have the spring loaded drive belt.

Also, where do you get one of those sulkeys from. Does the company have a web site.

Thanks,
    Scott

10. You will have to make a brand name decision. What I suggest is that you buy a two wheel stand on sulky that tracks with the drive tires and does not pivit.

A regular standard Toro sit down sulky (no longer in production)is a good choice for mowing sports fields.