should I buy....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Sym, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

I know there is a truck forum, but I need some answers before tomorrow....I have an opportunity to buy a 1998 Dodge 1500 Magnum for $3000.

I can't tell you too much about it.... 96,000 miles, A/C works. the inside is a little dirty (it was traded in at a dealer), but it can all be cleaned out. The only real interior negative is the driver's seat is a bit torn up. the outside has no obvious rust, has bed liner and a bed cover thing.

I am going to drive it on the road tomorrow (I couldn't today because I was looking at the truck when the roads were clogged).

From what I have gathered on the net is there is a history of transmission problems and A/C.

How have you guys fared with this truck? heard anything/owned one? What should I look for?

thanx

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

My parents purchased a 98 Ram 1500 brand new right when the quad cabs came out. Sold the truck in 2001 with a blown tranny at 35,000 miles. Chances are that truck has already had transmission work. Ours also had quite a few other problems such as a master cylinder, A/C trouble, window leak, etc.

I would look elsewhere, however at $3000 that's pretty cheap. JMO

3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

check out the frount end see if it is tight check the tranny fluid for metalic smell and flaking. Honest opinon is dodge ford and chevy will all be fairly similar in the way they last they all have their problems just like the mowers do. Do not buy if they will not allow you to take it to a mechanic of your choice and pay the mechanic to do a thorugh inspection. Dad used to do this for his customers for around 65 dollars takes abut 30 or 40 minutes.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

A Chevy. :)

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ford or chevy or cummins.