should i change form of business...? and insurance..?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HoffmanLawnCare, Jun 19, 2005.

1. HoffmanLawnCare

HoffmanLawnCare LawnSite Member

currently i am a sole proprietorship but i was looking at should i change to a s corportation or maybe a LLC to actually seperate my business from my personal stuff? and what type of insurance should i get to protect my equipment and liability? i know i've seen a lot of companies on here who get $10,000 on there equipment and $1,000,000 liablity. any help would be great!

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi HoffmanLawnCare,

If you don't get an answer that satifies you, please feel free to send your question to our business consultant here. He will get back to you with a response for free.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Ask your accountant. the insurance amounts are kind of the average or starting points. Just because you are incorporated does not mean that your personal stuff is safe.

4. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

free advice from some idiot on the internet.
    a sole proprietor means if you hurt someone they can sue you and you will use all your personal assets to defend yourself and then the person suing you can get all your personal assets that are left.

an LLC means if you hurt someone they can sue you and you will use all your personal assets to defend yourself. If you lose, they get only the business stuff. maybe.

a sub S is kind of like an LLC for liability issues, but means you can distribute ownership to more people. So, lets say you want 7 people to have varying ownership shares fo the business. Then set it up as a corp.

An LLC makes a lot of sense for small operators. easy to set up, and designed for one to four equal owners in a business.

Insurance. Lots of it out there. What happens if you get in a wreck? You have auto insurance. does it cover commercial vehicles? hmmmm. probly not.
    what happens if someone steals your mowers?
    what happens if a blade comes flying off a mower and decapitates an infant? what happens if you drive over an infant?
    all good reasons for having a good business insurance agent.