Should I change oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I changed the oil in my ZTR after the first 10 hours and it now has 14 hours on it and I am finished using it for the season. Should I still change the oil with fresh for the winter even though it only has like 4 hours on it?

Thanks...

2. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

Yes, better safe than never. Also - put in some multi-weight oil so that the oil doesn't gum up when the temps get below freezing.

Seth

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just go by what the manual says how often to change oil. If their is something special about winter time I would assume the manual would mention it. You could always call the dealer you bought it from and ask them about the oil change in winter.

Following are my personal preferences.

If ztr left outdoors, cover it up with something to keep rain/snow off it. You might start it up every week or two and drive it around a bit to keep the battery charged and tires aren't always in one spot on the ground,etc.

Come spring look all at rubber lines,hoses to make sure mice or rats have not chewed through them and double check that you still have oil on the dipstick.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Go ahead and put in the multi-weight. Wouldn't want to leave any contaminats in over the winter.

5. Husky03

What is multi-weight? Right now I have 10w-30 Valvoline in it. I plan to run Mobil 1 full synthetic after the first 100 or so hours.

6. CGLC

CGLC LawnSite Member

I have the same issue. I changed my oil about ten hours of motor use before i put it away for winter storage. Now after reading your post i wounder if i should have changed the oil. Only problem is the mower is 75 miles away form where i live.

7. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

10w-30 is a multiweight oil. (10 weight + 30 weight) That type of multi-weight oil should be fine for winter conditions.

Seth

8. Husky03

So I will be fine to change it again with the same oil?

9. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I've talked to several people (Mechanics) about synthenic oils. The engine salesman I have talked to recommend a better thing to do for your engine is to replace the oil and filter more often to get the dirty oil out. Rather than install expensive oil and feel that you can change less often, keep good clean oil in it all the time. I've always changed oil at 50 hours and never had a problem. You have to allow time for the rings to seat before using synthetic oils. I'm sure everyone has an opinion on the subject. I have used Mobil 1 in vehicles in the past. Didn't really notice a difference. Just an thought. Man was that turkey good or what!!!

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

No. Additives and oil molecule chains are what break down in oil requiring an oil change. At 4 hours both are fine.

The lack of oil molecule chains in synthetic oil is the very reason you can run longer intervals between oil changes. The reason you have to change synthetic oil is because the additive package breaks down, not the oil itself.

The lightness or darkness of oil has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with an oil's ability to lubricate an engine. If it did then the almost black oil in a diesel engine after very few hours would destroy them long before the oil gets changed.