Should I Change The Name?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iamthelawnman, Jun 22, 2002.

1. iamthelawnman

iamthelawnman LawnSite Member

I HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR A BISS. FOR SIX YEARS, THE PEOPLE KNOW, RESPECT AND LOVE MY WORK. I WAS ABLE TO BUY IT FROM THE OWNER LAST MARCH, HE WAS SICK OF THE HEADACKES AND HE WAS GETTING TO THE POINT THAT HE COULD JUST NOT HAND IT ANY MORE { I GUESS BEING 61 DOSENT HELP MUCH.. } I KEPT THE NAME SO THAT PEOPLE WOULD'NT THINK I WAS GOING TO CHANGE THE WAY THINGS WHERE. BUT I WANT TO BULID A NAME FOR MY SELF AND MY EMPLOYES. MY BROTHER WORKS FOR MY X- BOSS'S HIS SON MOWING LAWNS BUT I WILL BE BUYING THAT BISS. THIS YEAR AS WELL AND THEN I WILL HAVE TO CHANGE ONE OF THE NAME'S. SO MY ? IS THIS.
    SHOULD I STAY WITH THE NAME I HAVE, CHANGE IT TO THE ONE I AM GOING TO BUY OR SHOULD I JUST COME UP WITH A NEW ONE?
    THE ONE I HAVE HAS BEEN AROUND FOR OVER 30 YEARS ( BOOS BROS LAWN CARE) AND THE ONE I AM BUYING IS CALLED NATURE'S WAY LAWN CARE. THE NAME I WOULD LIKE TO CALL IT IS "THE PERSONAL TOUCH IN LAWN MAIN. AND LANDSCAPING"
    I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO CALL IT FORSURE BUT SOMETHING THAT GETS THEM TO NOTICE NOT JUST THE NAME BUT ABOVE THAT, THE JOB! SO PLEASE HELP OUT IN ANYWAY......
    P.S SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY.

BOOS BROS LAWN CARE "BORN TO MOW"

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'd stick with something you can fit on a business card. The potential new name you listed is just too long. Nature's Way Lawn Care sounds like you're just going to let everything grow and then let it burn every so many years. Isn't that nature's way?

Just my 2 cents.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Stick with what you've got.

4. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would stick with the name that has been around for thirty years as long as it has a good reputation in your area.

5. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Boos Bros sounds pretty cool. The name recognition is there as well. Slogan: Boos Brothers- We're on a mission from God. (get it?)
    Good luck, Bil Craig!

6. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Like everybody else, stick with it. BTW, please loose the caps in your future posts.

7. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

stick to boos bros

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just how large of an operation is this that we're talking about? If it's big, like with 100 contracts, I would consider keeping it, but if it's feasible to switch, I would do so. This would be a well publicized transition, with well written letters going out to all customers. Your own DBA will eliminate some potential headache in the future as well. Also, with a name like Boos Bros., I hope none of you guys are drinkers, because that is a possible stigma (unfortunately) that some people may already be looking out for.

9. careco

careco LawnSite Member

:blob2: Sounds like you are buying up lawns services in Citrus County ! I also own a lawn care service in Inverness ! Might be interested in sell in the near future Have had it since 1997 and before that had one in Floral City ! Has a short name so you could use it ! If you are interested email me @ rfoliver10@hotmail.com Have good accounts and contracts ! I am the guy that you see mowing at the 3 county libraries C.R. B.H. and Inver.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see any down side to changing the name as long as the previous name is still available in the yellow pages, white pages, etc. so that people could still look you up under the old name.

As for a new name, I think the one you came up with is WAY WAY too long. Keep it simple. I like Nature's Way. One of the largest landscaping companies in my area has that same name. People remember it. It's sticks.

One thing to keep in mind is brand imaging. I don't know if your company trucks have a certain color, theme, or logo on them. But if they do, you'll want to keep the new name as close as possible to the old theme or logo so that when people see the trucks, even with the new name, they'll still recognize you guys as the same company.