Should I charge them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Jun 11, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

This might be a stupid question but it was real windy last night and alot of tree's feel down. I have a couple customers that have small and big branches down. I saw them while I was driving by today. Im getting my chain saw fixed. SHould I charge them for branch removal. There are some small ones and some big ones. Do I add it to there bill at the end of the week or ask them to pay me up front or what?? This is my first time dealing with a little tornado affect with my lawns.

How much do you guys charge for that kind of stuff.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Of course charge them. But first advise them upfront of the cost for extra work. Not after you have done the job

3. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

if its not a lot just get them off the lawns and let them know how bad it was. chances are theyll appreciate that you did them a favor. givng 10 minutes or so at each place wont kill you or starve your family to death

4. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

Charge for the cleanup....I would normally talk to my customer first to tell them that I will charge or if that's not possible I would clean it up and charge them for it...
    as far as what to charge.....30 minutes of my time is worth $25-$35 bucks depending on which customer it is.

5. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Most of my customers are working so it would be hard to contact them. Thanks for the advice. I use to work for this smuck back in the day and he wouldn't notify his customers and just tacks things on the bill and the customers starts winning. I will make sure I notify the customers and tell them how much it will be.

6. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

let em know and like hockeypro said, a little extra will go a long way. helps keep your customers from year to year instead of saving $4 a cut switching around every season.

if it's firewood sized limbs, need to charge a little. they'll understand

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya, he said "tornado effect". So thats why I said charge them. I don't mind picking up a few limbs, but storm damage is another story. We get lots of wind storms too and with yards with lots of trees it adds up to good extra money every year. I usually charge by the hour for limb pickup. Chain sawing is more money per hour.

8. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

yea i wasnt sure how big hes talking. if its downed trees that need to be cut up, then yes its worth it to charge them. but if its a few branches etc that can be tossed in the truck in 5 or 10 minutes id just git r done