Should I come back to mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Oct 9, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

One of my customers was having a garage sale, So I was unable to service their yard, while in that area on Friday. So today I get a message from the home owners wondering why I didn't mow their lawn. What would you do? I know I don't wanna cut a single blade of grass on the weekend. Also it would have been a waste of time at the end of the day to drive all the way back to that area for one lawn.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

If they wanted me to come back it would be an extra charge, especially as high as gas is. Did they inform you they were having a garage sale before you came? I will make no more special trips for no one and that includes the Pope. I did that my first few years and got tired of being a door mat and being at pita bec and call.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

SFL

We are in a service business and that is what we sell. So give what you promise because someone else will. Smile and cut it this one time, But if it is a regular thing then it is time to move on.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes, i would go back, and on the way, perhaps pick up a small gift...

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would do it this time. You have the choice between driving over again and doing it, or probably spending the time to double or triple cut next time, so it's six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. You could let them know though, that anytime they have an event or something like this, let you know ahead of time and you can make accomodations for them. Customers appreciate that.

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Did they tell you about the sale in advance? If they didn't then when you call them back I would politely tell them that you can't service the proeprty with that much stuff and people around. That said, tell them that you will make it out Monday morning so you can enjoy the rest of your weekend and that next time you would appreciate a call so you didn't have to run by their property for nothing.

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Being me, I would probably do it this once, but let them know your concern. Chances are they will see it your way, and probably make it worth your while.

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

You should of had this conversation with the property owner when you were out there on the day of the sale! That would have prevented the "miscommunication" and follow up phone call from her. I agree with you, I definitely would not have cut with alot of stuff, people & vehicles near the lawn. Someone would have complained about a clipping or dust landing on their stuff, car or person.

I would have definitely spoke with owner at that time. Told them why you were not cutting and told them to TELL YOU IN ADVANCE the next time they have a SPECIAL EVENT like this.

Mike

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Ok, while I have only been a member for a little while.. I did lurk here and just read for a long time..

I know what has happened now.. Somebody has hacked the bobbygedd account and is posting these little "small gift" posts in between him getting on and posting all his regular posts in an attempt to discredit him.

Oh, and back to the question. Is the cut under contract that states a set mowing day for that account? If it is, and the people know what that day is and did not contact you to try and make other arrangements.. then they can wait till next friday.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

exactamundo. you didn't handle buisness properly. your bad.

an option is for you to tell them you won't charge for the skipped cut but unfortunately because of tall grass next week you willhave to charge double.

GEO :waving: