Should I continue mowing during a drought?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ENDURO, Apr 27, 2006.

ENDURO LawnSite Member

Do you guys keep mowing every week during a drought? This is my 1st year and I've already had a client ask me what my policy is. She obviously was looking to save some money and basically said she would sign my weekly mowing agreement as long as I didn't continue to come out and mow every week during a drought when it was obvious that the grass was almost dead. I can see where this could get more complicated for someone who is on a monthly pay plan that is based on 30 mows per season and you only do say 24.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yes, if they will pay. no, if they wont.

and if you have them on residential contract for weekly, they'll want out of it.

if they are on commercial contract, you'll be OK...most of the time...IMO.

GEO :waving:
  3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

i know we skip if they dont need it, pick it up when it rains again. but if you gotta eat see which ones will let you cut the dirt.
  4. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

this is what i do, people ask me all the time,WHAT DO YOU DO IF THE LAWN DOESNT GROW? well, i simply tell them that if they call me to skip a week the next week i charge more, due to the fact it takes me longer to mow, if it is left up to me to judge if it needs it or not, i will skip it a week when it does not need mowing with no extra charge to following week,
    NOW, what i do is, if the lawn doesnt really need mowing, i run over it real fast, no trimming, and i charge them a discounted rate for that week, this way i dont loose alot that week, if i just need to mow a portion of it, i will charge a fair price for that also... poeple love it, ive been asked after a client recieved my invoice, they asked why i was so cheap one week,i told them that certain spots on the lawn needed mowing but other spots really didnt need much so instead of charging them for the whole thing i charged for what grew in the past week... if you do this, your clients will never ask you to skip it!! also it shows them that you can be trusted, i was there, i mowed, i could have charged them full price, but i didnt !! to some, i may be a fool, to me im securing my income / clients.... good luck to you all

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I tell them I exercise common-sense and will use my discretion on the cut/no cut decision...
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

it dosent make sence to mow a dry non growing lawn it only causes more stress on it .
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

monthly contract for full season work--mow when it needs it double cut when it needs it, skip when it needs it, all for the same price.

weekly april - nov and EOW the rest of the year with 2 client initialed skips. If my crew has to drive there to check, we get paid.
  8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If its so dry its hardly growing i will skip a week unless the customer wants it cut regardless of the conditions. A lot of my customers like that i skip it if it really doesnt need it.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I keep cutting them as long as I can get away with it. Most of the time you'll know which ones you can get away with.
  10. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I'm not sure which I hate more, cutting an overgrown lawn or one that hasn't grown enough to be able to tell where I've cut. Pretty much, during the main cutting season, I have an idea the week I mow what to expect the following week. A good number of my lawns I can drive by and look at the day before if I feel it's going to be close. I've even been known to knock on the door and ask if they want me to mow it if I feel I'm not going to be able to tell.