Should I continue my services?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 4curbappeal, Sep 23, 2006.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client who isn't paying. I have sent two invoices the past 2 mos. and still no check! I have also called and left a message. It has been 11 days since the last cut and the grass is getting long! What would you all do? Thanks!!!

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Definatly not. Send them a letter saying service has been discontinued until payment is made. If payment is not made within 30 days it will be sent to collections.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! That was pretty much my plan! How can I turn them into collections? They only owe $200.

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive never done it I only threaten. Ive heard its a pain in the arse in Canada and they take like 40 %. I just try and not let it get out of hand and make sure I hastle them.

Cheers
    Jeff

5. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Put a lien on their house. They can't sell or refinance the house until they pay you. You will probably be able to collect a good interest rate on it if they don't sell for a while. Is it worth it to you to go to small claims for $200.00? If it is, then file. If it isn't, then just drop them and move on. Either way you have unsaddled yourself from a headache client, at least.

6. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Blood and sweat earned that $200.

I like the idea of putting a lien on their house. That could really bite them in the arse one day; consequently, you might benefit if they ever have to sell, re-finance, or get a second mortgage.

If they do finally pay you, and request to resume lawn service, put em' on pre-pay. If you do resume lawn service for them, and the grass is high after all this time, be sure to charge appropriately to get the lawn back under control.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Has this customer always been slow paying your bills? How long have you had them as a customer? Sometimes people just get a little behind. I'm not sure it would be worth it to file in small claims court for only $200, but I could be wrong! Good Luck getting paid!

8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

stop mowing, i've waited 8 mo's.tree job and mow (200.00) call for the whole time when she answered the phone she gave me a 100.00 tip and said i've waited long enough

9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Next year for lawns and this year for snow, I am billing like that pplawn guy (can't remember his name the sopranos avatar guy though) said, Bill on the 1st make it due on the 15th. This way at most you can be out 2 weeks. Last Year I would always bill at teh end of the month not this year. The previous customers that Have contacted me to make sure They are on my lst this year haven't had a problem with this arrangement yet.

10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

200.00 ? Must be a small yard , Id say keep mowing and rack that bill up some more if you think your going to get your money one way or the other.