Should I continue trying to get my Bermuda lawn the correct height?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by NEwhere1, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I checked for you. Typical First Frost is Nov 1 so 6 weeks prior is Sept 15th.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Bermuda like 70's at night and 90's during the day...it's recovers quickest at these temps. As for the last fert, min 30 days before first frost. As soon as we have a week of temps in the 50s at night I wouldn't apply fert...don't think it will do much good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

To be clear his is talking about N... You can still Feed some K in October.

4. NEwhere1

NEwhere1 LawnSite Member

Okay here are some updated pics, taken over the past few days. Starting to look nice again.

These were taken at various stages of mowing (if you notice any difference between them that is the reason)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

It's looking good. We're suppose to get a cold front this weekend so it'll start to slow the growth. The rain we've had the last few days has made the lawns grow like crazy. Also, bc I put my last high N app down the 3rd week of August. My Next app is a high K w/ pre-m for winter weeds in about 4 weeks. Then Lime in Dec.

I was mowing mine every 3 days for most of them summer but I've kinda slowed up on that at this point since the growth has slowed down for the most part. Also, the week long beach vacation in August kinda stopped that too since I went about 8 days w/o mowing.

I'm gonna do the same thing as you've done to mine next spring. I plan on buying a reel over the winter and I'll train it short next season starting in the spring. I'll need to topdress it in order to get it short though. I started out this year at 1.5" with a rotary and I'm at 1.75" now.

6. NEwhere1

NEwhere1 LawnSite Member

I don't know how much lawn you have to mow, i have around 8000-9000 sq ft. and my 20" reel is too small really. I haven't timed it, but it takes me probably an hour to mow it all, then add in trimming the areas i can't mow, edging, blowing i'm looking at 1.75 hours.

I bought this reel used from Craigslist for $5XX (forgot) and then paid to get it backlapped, found a better place to take it now. Will have new chains put on next season and bed knife resurfaced.

I looked for a used one for a couple reasons, but mainly just to find out if I liked using it, how well it worked, and if I could handle mowing every 3-4 days.

At some point in the future, not next year, after lawn has been leveled, i'm going to have to step it up to 25 or 27" and get a commercial version with drive wheel in the rear center, probably go used on that if i can find a fair deal.

7. macgyver_GA

My lawn is about 2500-3000 sq ft total. I can mow (w/ my 36" WB), trim, edge, blow in about 20 minutes. Mowing w/ 21"er takes me about 20-30 minutes double cutting. Then add another 10-15 for trimming, edging, and blowing. I've designed the landscape to be very efficient with very little space missed by my 36" WB which requires less trimming.

I'll probably end up getting a used 20" Tru-cut like you have. I almost bought one off craigslist a couple weeks ago because it was a steal but I had to tell myself no haha. Maybe I can buy a 25"er and we can trade. You're just down the road from me.

8. NEwhere1

NEwhere1 LawnSite Member

When trying to find a shop to take mine too, I asked a driving range near me (http://www.georgiagolfcenter.com/)what they do about their reels....they said they go to this guy for service http://www.turfequipmentused.com/ I called him up, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about, better than the place I originally took it. I ended up taking it to my local Ace Hardware (Morgan's) but i'm thinking next time i'm going to Franklin (able turf and tractor). I also asked a few landscape companies who they use and they told me this guy (https://plus.google.com/109406700512372954555/about?gl=us&hl=en) who doesn't have a real website, I took it there and he checked it out and back lapped it. He did an okay job for cheap, but didn't strike me as very professional or up-to-date, however my reel is sharp, and makes nice contact/cuts paper etc.

It might be worth stopping buy Abel turf and tractor and talking to him about what to look for in a used mower, or telling him to keep an eye out for one for you in the future.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  9. macgyver_GA

Oh cool, I didn't know about that place. Looks like they're down off exit 14. I'll go check his place out.

My neighbor used to be the super over at Crooked Creek in Alpharetta so he told me he knows some mechanics that do reel sharpening on the side. Nice to know that Morgan's does it too. I usually park in their parking lot when I go down to downtown Woodstock on the weekends for dinner/drinks.