Should I convert to propane?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ALarsh, Aug 30, 2006.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

It was just on the news that propane will be the future fuel source for lawn mowers. According to WISN 12 news, the government will start checking emissions in small engines in 4 years. It costs $800 to convert and the engine will burn cleaner, use less fuel, more efficient and last longer. When gas was at $3.00 per gallon, propane was a little over $1.50 (according to news station). You can convert ANY gas lawn mower over to propane.

Sound good?

2. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

No thanks.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

LOL soon as a bunch start going to propane for fuel it will be $3.00 a gallon, no thanx Im sticking with gas.

wayne

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If they start checking emissions on mowers, are they going to find anything wrong with yours? I mean, it was sold that way. They can't very well tell you that you have to comply with some 2010 standard on a mower that was sold years before. And honestly, on a side note, I'm kind of shocked mowers don't already come with catalytic converters.

And I agree with grass_cuttin_fool. Trying to save money converting to different fuels, for the most part, is hopeless. Seems like with all fuels it's getting to the point they are charging by the BTU.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I can just see the $99 Wal-Mart special, with a propane tank hooked up to it that weighs more and is worth more than the mower!:laugh: :laugh:

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Right, remember when diesel fuel was cheaper than gasoline? Wasn't too long ago. Every Tom, Dick and Harry went out and bought diesel pick-ups, even though they don't need a diesel and the price over shot gasoline.

7. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

Propane is already being used by such things as fork lifts & floor buffers that are used inside supermarkets right next to all the food that you eat.

8. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all propane tanks on mowers would be too clumbsy...Plus... a Pita to get them refilled.
    I,m a gas and Diesel man.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Propane is starting to be used in our area. The Scag/Ferris dealer does the conversions and sells the Propane. Some folks are getting government grants to convert. They claim that they run very clean and oil changes are less frequent. I don't know if you can compare gallon to gallon prices, I haven't heard anyone says it was a LOT cheaper to run Propane. All the govt agencies are now required to run propane. The rumor is that all lawn services that pay state taxes will be required to show a plan to reduce polution by a certain percent in the next 5 years.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone know if the suburban propane trucks run off of propane or not? I was wondering about this last time I saw one drive by........?