Should I do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAZ982500, Apr 3, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

A women called me for an estimate on her property for lawn mowing.The property is approx. an Acre.She wants it trimmed and cut there is no blowing.Several things to consider are one, the drive there is out of my catchment area, its 13 miles away from my home.Second, I typically cut small to medium size properties.This would be the largest considering my biggest mower is 36"wb TORO Metro.I bid this at 75.00 bucks.If I was to take it ,with this equipment the only solution,I think I would need to purchase a sulky to make it quicker.Do others even consider these type of situations and what would be the best way to solve this problem and make it worth while if I choose to take it/or not.She will be getting back to me tonight to let me know if price is ok, I need to decide if it is worth it for me.Thoughts would be helpful.Thanks Dave.

2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

;) Go for it, 13 miles is'nt that far....

3. dg0123

dg0123 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Put out door hangers or flyers in her area. You could pick up afew more near her and make the trip even more worth it. Good luck!

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would take it too,and try to get some more around there.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would also say take it. If you do a good job you will pick up some more business in that area:)

6. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I would do it as long as you have it bid right for your area. I'm driving approx. 16 mile for $50 job. It works out for me in my area.

7. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take it if it was me!:clapping:

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you can close an acre lot at 75 dollars, that is very good money for that size lot and it will help make up for taking you 15-20 minutes out of your way.

Far as size, if you're cutting with a 3-footer (I keep telling you guys to buy a 4-footer but...) it will take at least an hour solid at top speed in 5th gear with a brand-new mower. However, it should not take more than an hour and a half under most any circumstances.

That having been said...
    The reason I recently got into bigger lots (acre +) myself even thou all I have is a 48" is because to me, it's one stop shopping: Sure it's a lot of work, but you're getting paid the whole time - One of these yards is the equivalent of at least 2 but really 3 small ones (due to no windshield time) so technically all you need is 4 of these in one day and you can go home with 300 dollars in your pocket ! At 2 hours a pop (including drive-time) that's hardly 8 hours of work for the chaching, most excellent moolah in my book.

It's a win-win because:
    - You bid it right, it's a solid price that leaves room to play, which you can now use to apply towards the extra windshield time.
    - This one yard covers THREE small 25-to-30-dollar lots in less time (yes because you spend more time cutting 2 or 3 of the smaller ones due to windshield time) and for the same money (even if slightly less, it evens out).

Yeah I'd say you did real good, my answer is take it, absolute YES !

How good is it?
    I'd consider it with a push-mower at that price, if that's all I had. (ok, no I wouldn't but to make a point).

9. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Yeah go for it. Maybe get a few around there, then a bigger mower, then less time there for the same money.

REV.

10. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Go for it, but try your best to get other accounts on the way there or back to cut your windshield time. Buy the sulky (you need one anyway)your legs will thank you years from now.